Senior DevOps Engineer
Zipwhip is a Seattle-based SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) company providing text messaging to businesses across North America through cloud-based software and a best-in-class API solution. One of the fastest growing tech companies in North America as ranked by Deloitte Fast 500 2017 and 2018, Zipwhip invented the technology that enables businesses to text using their existing landline, VoIP or toll-free phone number and communicate with consumers the modern way.
Zipwhip is aggressively investing in our people, product offerings and processes. We are backed by Goldman Sachs, Microsoft Ventures, OpenView, Voyager Capital and a host of other investors, and are seeing rapid growth in both employees and revenue. Zipwhip is the only business-texting provider with direct connections to all Tier 1 and 2 wireless operators in the U.S., and we've delivered billions of texts to consumers nationwide.
Zipwhip employees come to work every day inspired and ready to live out our DIRECT values: Determination, Innovation, Respect, Enthusiasm, Collaboration and Trust. If you want to be part of an organization where highly motivated thinkers are empowered to change the way we communicate with the world around us, then we'd like to hear from you.
What we're looking for:
Zipwhip is rapidly transforming text messaging and we are looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer to help take our software to the next level. Zipwhip is continuing to lead the way in business texting software using the power of technology and cloud computing to bring scale, reliability, and efficiency to our platform which powers over 20,000 businesses. The Senior Infrastructure Engineer will work closely with operations engineers, solution architects, and development teams to deliver new product features and ensure platform reliability and uptime for customers.
What's the job really?
- Opportunity to leverage cutting edge cloud services to solve complex problems relating to scale and performance
- Collaborate with development and operations teams to build and maintain automated tools for deployment and monitoring
- Continually analyze and improve the processes/tools supporting the CI/CD pipeline
- A collaborative team player that can support and mentor other platform engineers
- Support development team for deployment of hotfixes and new features in our platform
- Work closely with solution architects to take proof of concept design to production
What you bring to the table:
- Bachelor’s degree in an associated area, or equivalent experience, is required
- 5+ years of relevant work experience
- Familiarity working in a small but rapidly growing team of engineers with variety of skills/experience
- Experience operating a SaaS application at scale with multiple channels of delivery (web, mobile, desktop)
- Experience working with highly distributed complex systems
- Proven collaboration skills in highly technical engineering teams, with excellent communication skills
- Experience participating in an on-call rotation and excellent troubleshooting skills are a requirement
- Strong experience with Continuous Integration tools (Jenkins, CodeBuild, CodePipline, etc.)
- Strong experience with version control systems (Git)
- Hands-on experience working with build tools (Maven, Gradle, SBT, NPM)
- Experience building and running Docker containers in a production environment
- Familiar with container orchestration systems (Kubernetes, Rancher)
- Experience with TSDB based monitoring systems (Prometheus)
- Prior experience managing Linux systems in a production environment
- Strong scripting proficiency (Bash, Python, GoLang, Java, etc.)
- Experience with large scale cloud deployments (AWS, Azure, GCP) and hybrid infrastructure.
- Track issues and follow them to resolution by engaging other engineering teams
- Understanding of what is required to have a successful and secure CI/CD pipeline
- Passionate about cloud-based and open source automation technologies
- Startup experience and working on projects in a great SaaS/Cloud company a plus
- Experience with multiple types of databases (MySQL, DynamoDB, Cassandra)
- Strong automation background (Terraform, Ansible)
- Experience managing large clusters of messaging brokers (Kafka, ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ)
What we offer:
- A fun, lively startup culture and one of Seattle's coolest offices.
- Core values-based leadership.
- A culture of employee engagement-lively weekly company updates as 1 example.
- Competitive salary and stock options.
- Complimentary access to a fitness center.
- Stipend for transportation and cell phone usage.
- Full benefits package including parental leave, a matching 401k program, PTO, and medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance.
- Complimentary snacks, complimentary beverages, a subsidized cafeteria with lunch made fresh every day, and free lunch on Fridays catered by local chefs.
- Complimentary shuttle access to office from King Street Station, Ferry Terminal and Yesler/Occidental.
Zipwhip values an inclusive and diverse team.
We are an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
We are an E-verify participating employer.