In this role, you will be responsible for functional, performance and integration testing by creating automated test cases to ensure world class quality of Avalara products. You will be responsible for understanding requirements and designing test cases from the requirements. You will be working closely with product and developer teams on a day to day basis. You will be the voice of the customer within the organization, demanding zero defects, five nine’s reliability, and ease of use.
Avalara is the worldwide leader in sales and use tax calculation. The work we do is fundamental to electronic commerce. We're the first to admit it - sales tax isn't sexy. But revolutionizing fundamental business processes -- that's big time. And that's what we're doing every day, bringing technology to bear on the arcane process of sales tax calculation, reporting and remitting. Our work improves the lives of our customers by making tedious business processes they must participate in simple and easy.
We have a startup culture focused on building great software and having the maximum impact on the world that we can and having fun while doing it. We’d love to talk to you about what we are up to.
- Establish yourself as a quality automation expert in the team, advocating for complete code coverage of a large codebase in order to enable continuous delivery to customers and a 99.999 SLA. With every code commit/change the move for the above goals is incremented
- Responsible for automated testing throughout agile development iterations to ensure zero defects
- Guide system engineers in the ongoing creation and maintenance of automated tests
- Participate in sprint planning, providing input on required testing tasks, process, and associated effort for the selected user stories
- Analyze customer bugs and work on repro and provide developers with a possible way to fix it
- Contribute towards continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Responsible for creating performance and load tests and report on performance impact for every release
- Participate in code reviews for both the developer and SDET teams
- Be a key participant in creating Quality as a Culture
- Help to create and maintain enterprise level documentation for a new and fast-growing solution
- Assist the team in improving and adding to monitoring systems, in order to achieve complete clarity as to product stability in both test, and production environments
- Assist the team in effectively consuming data coming from analytics and monitoring systems, building clear reporting conduits that separate gems from noise and help the team react quickly and effectively to fix developing issues
- Show leadership and dogged investigatory acumen in resolving production issues and outages, and helping the team heal errant processes that led to failures
- Work closely with the SRE team to come up with plans for deployment and provide all the support needed for uptime
Qualifications (absolute must-haves walking in the door)
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience supporting teams shipping complex applications to large-scale production environments
- Must be located in the Seattle, WA area and be in the office on a regular basis
- Track record of being an effective leader and advocate for best QA practices for continuous deployment for high uptime environments
- Experience creating and using test automation frameworks and tools
- Strong QA skills: planning, exploratory testing, defect reporting and troubleshooting
- Experience working on and consuming RESTful web services
- Experience working on and testing EmberJS and Node.js based UIs
- Experience using various tools such as Nightwatch, Selenium, etc.
- Experience with distributed collaboration tools such as Git, JIRA, Slack, and wikis
- Experience working with solutions built on different technology stacks
- Experience in doing tasks related to DevOps for development teams
- Knowledge of working on AWS systems
- Great problem-solving skills
- Experience understanding complex requirements and designing test plans from it
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and flexibility to work collaboratively with others in a dynamic environment
- Excellent communication skills, collaboration, follow-up, and self-motivation
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- First-hand experience consuming UX analytics feeds to identify customer pain points
- Relevant experience moving teams towards continuous deployment systems
The perks of working at Avalara go beyond amazing physical spaces and a Tiki Bar. We’re committed to continued progress in diversity and inclusion. As an employee at Avalara, you’ll have the opportunity to join resource groups focused on diversity of thought, engage with your local or global community about topics that matter to you and the organization and receive continued education around inclusion and development. As Avalara grows, so do the voices within it. It’s time to hear your voice.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, gender, nation of origin, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law. We thrive on diversity and encourage people from all walks of life to apply to Avalara’s open positions.