Senior Site Reliability Engineer at Zipwhip
Zipwhip is a Seattle-based SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) company that is changing the way businesses and consumers communicate. We invented the capability to text to and from a landline, toll-free or VoIP telephone number and have led the entire industry since. Over 35,000 businesses use our product and we are the fourth fastest-growing company in Washington state. We are backed by Goldman Sachs, Microsoft Ventures, OpenView, Voyager Capital and a host of other investors, and are seeing great growth in customer base and revenue. Zipwhip is the only business-texting provider with direct connections to all Tier 1 and 2 wireless operators in the U.S., and we've delivered billions of texts to consumers nationwide.
We are looking for a Senior Site Reliability Engineer to work collaboratively with software developers to ensure the reliability, availability, and performance of our innovative text messaging platform. You should be passionate about solving difficult scaling problems, designing highly available infrastructure, and writing quality software to continuously improve the customer experience.
- Have a strong desire to understand how things work and are passionate about sharing that knowledge with others.
- Have experience supporting a complex and distributed SaaS application at scale.
- Are excited about shipping production-level systems and can analyze/optimize performance in high-traffic internet applications.
- Will bring your unique set of diverse experiences and background to our team in an open and collaborative manner so that we can all expand and grow faster.
- Put the customer first: “Will the customer be delighted with this?”.
- Are curious, willing to learn, share and improve.
What’s the job really?
- You will have the opportunity to tackle complex challenges of scale on our platform and will keep an ever-watchful eye on our systems capacity and performance.
- Own end-to-end availability and performance of key services and build automation to prevent problem recurrence.
- Joining a development team on rotation, to continuously improve our software developer’s operational awareness and responsibility.
- Leverage your experience in distributed systems and microservice architecture to understand how systems fail and spend the time educating engineers on building more resilient services.
What to bring:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience.
- 5+ years of experience in an SRE or cloud operations engineer role.
- 3+ years of software engineering experience building customer-facing applications.
- Possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- Proficiency deploying and operating large scale distributed systems and production troubleshooting.
- Passion for implementing monitoring and alerting to facilitate an on-call engineering culture.
- Hands-on experience building and supporting a SaaS product in AWS, Azure, or GCP.
- Hands-on experience running production systems on Kubernetes.
- Deep expertise curating telemetry, logging, and metrics for a customer facing application.
- Deployed containerization strategies using Docker and have mastered AWS services (EC2, VPC, S3, RDS, IAM, CloudFormation).
- Experience using deployment automation/configuration management tools such as Terraform/Helm
- Experience with functional or imperative programming languages (PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java).
- Show organizational agility, cross-team collaboration, commitment for results, and written and verbal communications.
- We value diversity and strive to create an environment where everyone can feel safe, valued, empowered, and connected.
- A fun, flexible, and lively startup culture in one of Seattle's coolest offices, with waterfront view.
- A place where people can effectively work together and have access to the latest technology to do their best work.
- Our award-winning culture stems from having a core set of values that are lived daily from the top down. This includes hackathons to showcase innovation, lots of service opportunities to serve our surrounding community, and fun collaborative events to connect with executives and peers.
- Ample opportunities for professional growth, internal advancement and movement, and company-supported learning.
- Competitive compensation and stock options.
- Full benefits package including parental leave, a matching 401k program, PTO, and medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance.
- Subsidized access to a fitness center + other onsite wellness offerings, such as yoga.
- Stipend for transportation and cell phone usage.
- Complimentary snacks, complimentary beverages and free lunch on Fridays catered by local chefs.
Zipwhip strives for an equitable, inclusive and welcoming culture that values and honors diverse experiences and perspectives, that fosters the constructive expression of ideas, and that promotes intellectual curiosity, creativity, and respect. Equity and inclusivity can only flourish and reach full potential with continued effort and accountability, nourished by a collective sense of responsibility and mission on the part of the entire company. We are committed to the continued development of our diverse of people, ideas, and approaches, which will strengthen our mission to make texting with businesses as natural as it is with family and friends.
We are an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
We are an E-verify participating employer.