Senior Site Reliability Engineer
At Sprout Social, we are building software that is made to last. Our 2,000+ customers rely on our software every day to help them create stronger relationships with their customers and deliver actionable analytics, so reliability, scalability, and performance are top of mind. Automation and infrastructure-as-code are essential ingredients that keep our platform flexible and empower us to react rapidly to changes in social media and the marketplace, while maintaining reliability and performance 24/7/365. Each day, our platform process 10’s of millions of social media messages and our APIs handle over 10 billion requests per year to deliver our software to customers in over 100 countries.
We do not operate as lone wolves, cowboy/girl coders, or “10x devs.” Instead, we are building diverse, collaborative teams that get the best results sustainably. Our Site Reliability Engineers work in tandem with Web, Platform, and QA Engineers to drive our product initiatives to successful outcomes.
We strive to create “Paved Roads”: standard production-ready technology that all of our engineering teams can leverage to deliver value quickly. Our Site Reliability Engineers are exposed to a wide breadth of technologies and technical challenges. We work to improve all aspects of engineering through automation, observability of metrics, and clear processes in order to build sustainable and fault tolerant solutions. Learning from system failures and human mistakes is part of our culture.
If you are passionate about automation and designing reliable, scalable, performant systems that empower engineers to rapidly and safely build and deliver value to our customers, we'd love to talk to you!
Within 1 month, you will:
- Complete Sprout’s New Hire training program and learn about our product.
- Contribute to feature work.
- Interact with our hosting platforms and perform operations tasks.
- Collaborate with your team members and fellow developers to deliver value to our users.
- Receive feedback on pull request(s) and actively pair with teammates.
- Shadow a team member for an on-call rotation.
- Become familiar with the observability tools utilized by our team such as Graphite, Grafana, and Nagios.
Within 3 months, you will:
- Complete your first end to end project, such as a new infrastructure deployment using Chef and Terraform.
- Gain familiarity with our platform architecture.
- Learn about and interact with some of our key storage technologies: MySQL, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, Hadoop.
- Learn about our use of NSQ in streaming data ingest pipeline.
- Use our observability tools to troubleshoot production performance or stability issues.
- Join our on-call rotation (don’t worry we’ve got your back!)
- Focus on code quality with meaningful test coverage.
- Participate in code reviews and give feedback to team members.
- Contribute to our team’s culture of continuous improvement through retros and experimentation-oriented thinking.
- Proactively identify, document, and schedule future work to be done, working toward eliminating operational toil.
Within 6 months, you will
- Help complete a complex, impactful project that is well-baked and bug-free.
- Write design documents, gather feedback from peers, coordinate dependencies, and be a domain owner for a new project.
- Form a career growth plan with your manager and begin work towards it.
- Accidentally break something, recover, and learn from it.
- Interact with and maintain concurrent, distributed systems.
- Build effective working relationships with team members across engineering through active networking, collaboration, and community building.
- Influence other developers and be a guide for following best practices.
Within 12 months, you will
- Be a go-to expert of at least one key system at the company.
- Continue growing your knowledge of our environment and services.
- Actively mitigate risk of poor quality or missed deadlines.
- Continually evaluate and refine your technical toolkit: teach what you learn to the team.
- Retire a service that is EOL and clean up artifacts.
- Have opportunities to contribute to in-house technical presentations and workshops that share your expertise with large groups of Sprout developers.
- Have opportunities to advocate for Sprout Engineering in the software community by participating/speaking at conferences, user groups, etc.
- Mentor junior engineers via pairing, design review, and code review.
- Surprise us! Use your unique ideas and abilities to change Sprout Engineering in beneficial ways that we haven’t even considered yet.
Of course, what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
About Sprout Social
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success.
Team Sprout is a group of very talented, smart and passionate people with broad interests and backgrounds. We believe that true employee engagement cannot happen if you can’t bring your whole self to work, so we’re committed to building a diverse team, embracing an inclusive culture and investing in equity across our organization. That dedication is core to Sprout. We want all candidates, particularly those coming from traditionally underrepresented groups in the technology industry, to know they are welcome at Sprout.
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for software, product and company culture achievements. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun. We have built a benefits program to match the strength of our team. This program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families, including generous company contributions
- Progressive benefit programs, like our parental leave program
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment - your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in downtown Seattle
- Solid programs in some of the staples: transportation, disability and life insurance
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and financial well-being of our team
- Breakfast and lunch options onsite, and more healthy snack options and beverages than you can imagine
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members