Senior Software Development Engineer - Discovery at OfferUp
OfferUp is dedicated to building the simplest and most trustworthy way for people to buy and sell in their communities. Every year, millions of people use OfferUp to buy and sell locally, resulting in billions of dollars of local commerce. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., our iOS and Android app has been in the top five most popular shopping apps lists for more than three years. Join us as we build the marketplace of the future and reinvent local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust.
At a Glance
- 85M+ Downloads
- Geekwire App of Year
- 15+ percent of adults in key markets like Los Angeles, Seattle, Miami and Las Vegas use OfferUp every month
About the role:
The OfferUp Enterprise Tools Team is looking for a Senior Software Development Engineer to join us as we disrupt the local mobile marketplace and provide the best experience for buyers and sellers. As a Senior Software Development Engineer, you will have the opportunity to define the technical roadmap of the team, bring industry best practices to OfferUp, own projects from conception to delivery, lead architecture discussions and mentor engineers.
You’ll also be responsible for operational excellence of the Enterprise Tools Team. You will work with our UX, Client and Product teams and other engineers to come up with new efficient solutions and iterate on existing ones. You share our passion for design, have a strong background in scalable backend systems and have experience designing solutions for mobile clients.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Responsible for operational excellence of the team.
- Cross-functional point of contact for technical questions with other Tech Leads, TPMs, Product.
- Provide mentorship, technical direction to team members on a day to day basis.
- Continuously discover, evaluate, and implement new technologies/best practices to maximize development efficiency
- Dedicated to optimizing the performance and scalability of the OfferUp infrastructure as the service continues to grow
- Help maintain code quality, organization, and automation.
- Collaborate with third party providers on an as-needed basis, and evaluate/debug/implement 3rd party SDKs.
- Create solutions and/or frameworks that make other team members better and faster
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- 5+ years professional software engineering experience
- Demonstrate strong coding skills in any one of the following - Java, .NET, (or equivalent programming language)
- Prior proven experience of being a technical lead of a team of 4+ members
- Excellent knowledge of Data Structures and Algorithms
- Experience with building highly scalable web services
- Be comfortable designing services on top of a cloud infrastructure like AWS
- Above all, an insatiable desire and ability to learn
- Exceptional self-management skills during the execution of complex problems and tasks
- You desire a fast moving, continuous flow development environment
- Experienced with Agile development
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related discipline
- Eligible to work in the United States
Helpful, but not required:
- Scrum master experience
- Github repo with your own code we can view
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/tagged/culture
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.