Senior Software Development Engineer, Infrastructure
At Remitly, we help immigrant communities around the world send over $6 billion a year to their loved ones. Sending money is faster, easier, and costs less with our all-digital money transfer platform. Our vision is to transform the lives of immigrants and their families by providing the most trusted financial service products on the planet. At Remitly, your work has a direct and positive impact on people around the globe. Your work matters, every day.
Do you enjoy building tools and services to empower and accelerate other developers? Are you passionate about DevOps? You might be a great fit for our Infrastructure team!
Remitly’s small and decentralized product and engineering teams deploy apps and services multiple times every day, and the Infrastructure team is focused on building the world-class tools, systems, and automation that powers all of it. We strive to accelerate all Remitly Engineering teams, enabling them to learn, iterate, and deliver impactful experiences to our customers at an increasingly fast pace. We follow industry-best practices and use cutting-edge programming languages, tools, and services. We design with a focus around automation and standards, allowing us to stay small and lean while empowering all Remitly developers to build, deploy, and monitor their applications and services with safety nets and low operational overhead.
Some examples of technology we use, interesting problems we’re solving, and near-term future challenges include:
- Building and improving upon our build/deployment system, which runs on AWS and utilizes EC2, IAM, Route53, Kubernetes… etc.
- Managing Prometheus, Grafana, Jaeger, ElasticSearch, and other tools that enable observability and monitor health and performance across our fleet of several dozens (and growing!) of services.
- Building a robust and stable job scheduling system for use across all Engineering and Product teams.
- Automating static infrastructure and AWS resources using Terraform and the AWS API.
- Documenting and providing consultation for development teams around best practices for utilizing internal tools as well as common infrastructure services (AWS, Kubernetes, Docker… etc.)
To succeed in this role, you should enjoy working in a fast-paced startup environment and hands-on with other developers throughout the company. You should be a good listener and an empathetic developer, able to understand the challenges and issues described by other developers, then capable of converting those into scalable solutions. You should have a passion for automation, and intuition around future problems that developers might run into.
We’re looking for people who meet the following specific requirements:
- A BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent professional experience.
- 6+ years of experience as a software developer.
- DevOps experience including development, testing, build and deployment, operation, and support of software services in Production.
- Substantial experience working with Linux environments and Bash/shell scripting.
- A consistent track record of building, shipping, and maintaining web services and systems on AWS.
- Experience deploying and managing containers (Docker) and container orchestration systems like Kubernetes or AWS ECS - experience with Kubernetes and its supporting ecosystem of tools in particular is preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of version control systems (VCS), especially git and GitHub.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A solid understanding around building and operating stateless microservice architectures.
- Ability to transition between different parts of an application’s technology stack and contribute to frontend components as well as backend services.
Who we are:
Remitly is a group of passionate people working to make international payments easier and more transparent on both the web and mobile devices. We are seeking team members to join us that want to make a difference and change an industry. We pride ourselves on aiming high and delivering results, data being at the heart of everything we do, and encouraging our team to own business decisions and outcomes. Does this sound like the place for you? Join us!
Remitly is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Remitly are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Remitly is an Everify Employer