Senior Software Engineer - Infrastructure at Rover
Sorry, this job was removed at 12:55 p.m. (PST) on Friday, November 1, 2019
Who we are:
Rover.com connects pet parents with the world’s largest network of pet sitters and dog walkers. On Rover, pet parents can easily discover, book, and manage personalized care for their dogs including pet sitting, dog walking, and doggy day care. Founded in 2011 on the belief that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the unconditional love of a dog, Rover improves and simplifies life for pet parents and the dogs they love.
Our global headquarters are in Seattle, Washington in the United States, working closely with our teams in Spokane, Berlin, London, and Barcelona. We have a track record of being recognized as a great place to work, having been named among Seattle's 'Best Places to Work' in Seattle Business Magazine and the Puget Sound Business Journal for three years running. We're an agile, fast-growing company, and our leadership comes from some of the world's most respected tech companies. Our pioneering approach to people and pups alike landed us on the list of GeekWire’s Next Tech Titan in 2019 and the World's Most Innovative Companies in 2018 by Fast Company. Needless to say (but we're going to say it anyway)—we love dogs, and we wouldn't dream of going to work without them by our sides.
Who we're looking for:
The infrastructure at Rover underpins all systems and technology that allow pet parents and pet sitters to connect, communicate, and arrange care. Thousands of dogs (and cats!) rely on us every day to ensure that our systems are stable, reliable, and performant. We are looking for someone to help us manage that responsibility and engineer the infrastructure necessary to ensure that the faith of those pet owners and care providers is well placed.
The engineer we are looking for for this position understands the gravity of that responsibility and is eager to work in a cloud-native environment (We don't maintain any physical servers!) to deliver on that promise.
We are leveraging really cool technologies (E.g., Docker, Terraform, BuildKite, Python, AWS, Kubernetes, Kafka) with a heavy emphasis on hosted/cloud solutions to achieve those goals.
- Design, build, and maintain the core infrastructure used by all of Rover's engineering teams
- Debug production issues across services and levels of the stack
- Understand the needs of the engineering team in order to plan and deploy capacity and capability ahead of need
- Build an infrastructure that has a strong emphasis on user experience
- See "Example Projects" for a list of project you could work on
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Systems Thinking - Lifecycle, Edge Cases, Failure Modes, Interactions
- Comfortable with shell scripting
- Can debug problems at any level across the entire stack leveraging a variety of visibility and monitoring tools and strategies
- Works to understand the needs of stakeholders and customers
- Respect production environments and operate accordingly
- This is not a checklist of requirements. This is the type of candidate we are looking for. We are eager to invest in our people and train them in any skills they may need.
Projects you could work on:
- Kubernetes Migration - We are currently in the process of moving the production systems powering rover.com from an EC2 based infrastructure to running entirely in Kubernetes (on top of EC2).
- Automated Staging Environments - Next year we are going to leverage our Kubernetes infrastructure to make staging environments dynamically and quickly available to our engineers.
- Multi-Region Availability for Key Systems - Our systems are designed to handle the failure of individual machines and availability zones. The next frontier for us from a reliability perspective is automated region level failure handling for key production systems.
- Automated Service Provisioning - We are working to define the conventions, build the systems, and develop the tooling to allow software engineers to deploy services into production without needing to interact with an operations team.
- Dogs in the office. Bring yours, too!
- Lightweight, Agile processes constantly improved with retrospectives.
- Fully automated testing and deployment system. Just merge your branch and it ships.
- Integrated teams with developers and designers work side-by-side.
- Data-driven decision making with A/B testing.
- Contributions back into the open source community.
- We are friendly, supportive and respectful, and we pay attention to the impact and quality of our work.
- Work/Life balance
Why we'll hire you:
- Your qualified for the position and your values align with Rover's Core Values (https://www.rover.com/careers/core-values/)
- You have experience using our tools or similar ones
- You strive for continuous improvement
- You can pitch your own ideas and shepherd them through to completion
- You have a sense for materiality, and know when to call it ‘good enough’ and ship or when to put in the extra time to polish
- You play nicely with others
Benefits of Working at Rover.com
- Competitive compensation
- Stock options
- Flexible paid time off
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Doggy benefits, including $1000 toward adopting your first dog
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats (for humans and dogs)
- Free catered lunches semi-monthly
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, snow tubing, game nights, and more
Candidates must be eligible to work in the US.
Rover is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a diverse, inclusive and inventive environment with the best employees. We’re driven by seeing our people succeed and grow, and we work to ensure everyone contributes to their fullest potential. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, protected veteran status, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Read Full Job Description