Software Development Engineer – Backend at Zipwhip
We are one of the main reasons it’s possible to text with a business today. Zipwhip was the first company to enable texting on existing business phone numbers, and we are now the world’s leading business-texting software and API provider. More than 35,000 companies use us to increase customer engagement and drive growth through texting on their existing landline, VoIP or toll-free phone number. Intuitive cloud-based software, an enterprise-grade API and direct network connectivity mean businesses can use any computer or mobile device to securely and reliably reach their customers, every time.
Our strong venture backing allows us to aggressively invest in our product, technology and team; we’ve received nearly $100 million in funding from the likes of Goldman Sachs, M12 (Microsoft Ventures) and OpenView. We are consistently ranked one of Washington’s fastest-growing workplaces, and were voted the 6th best place to work in the state by Seattle Business magazine and The Puget Sound Business Journal in 2019.
Every day we work to uphold our core DIRECT values: Determination, Innovation, Respect, Enthusiasm, Collaboration and Trust. We know that we’ll build better products if we have a diverse and inspired team that’s encouraged to make mistakes and experiment.
If you want to be part of a team where you’re supported and empowered to change the way the world communicates, then we’d love to hear from you.
How this role makes an impact:
- Bring your unique set of diverse experiences and background to our team in an open and collaborative manner so that we can all expand and grow faster.
- Desire to leverage your expertise but also dive into lesser known areas of technology, architecture, or whatever is needed to solve engineering day-to-day challenges.
- Have an open and honest communication style that always puts the customer first “Will the customer be delighted with this?”.
- Be comfortable dealing with ambiguity and a shifting landscape.
- Be curious, willing to learn, share and improve.
- You have a strong sense of ownership and accountability for the product you are delivering.
What you'll be working on:
- Responsible for designing, developing, testing, maintaining and shipping high quality features and services that connect businesses to millions of customers.
- Building large scale, highly available and reliable micro service infrastructure to power our SaaS platform and commercial messaging API.
- Owning your code end-to-end from development to deployment and providing operational support through on-call rotations.
- Working collaboratively with product managers and stakeholders to own & manage a rapidly evolving product roadmap that delivers on company goals.
The skills you'll need:
- Bachelor’s Degree in CS or related field or equivalent working experience.
- 5+ years of related software development experience shipping multiple products / services.
- Proficiency in one or more programing languages including Java, Scala, C, C++.
- Curiosity and interest in learning new programing languages and frameworks.
- Experience designing and implementing large scale solutions.
- Experience with message queuing technologies like Kafka and JMS.
- Experience working in distributed and concurrent systems.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Working in agile teams or startup environment with strong customer focus. Demonstrated organizational agility, cross-team collaboration, commitment for results, and excellent written and verbal communications.
- Commitment for engineering practices that ensure safe and fast paced releases of services.
- Ranked the #6 best workplace in Washington in 2019 from Seattle Business magazine and The Puget Sound Business Journal
- Consistently ranked one of Washington’s fastest-growing companies by Deloitte
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Full benefits package including parental leave, 401k, flexible remote work, generous PTO
- Health benefits including paid maternity and paternity leave, medical, vision, disability and life insurance
- Free on-site weekly yoga and meditation classes hosted by ZUM fitness, and discounted memberships to Soul Fitness and CorePower Yoga
- A brand new office on Elliott Bay with easy beachfront park access
- Stipend for transportation and cell phone usage
- A culture of transparency and open communication, including a catered weekly lunch meeting hosted by our CEO
- Values-based leadership and a commitment to building diversity and inclusion
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity of all kinds. We prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally recognized basis. This includes, but isn’t limited to, race, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, creed, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
We are an E-verify participating employer.