Software Development Engineer in Test, Voice Features
Outreach provides customer-facing users with multi-channel orchestration platform for all their customer communication. Voice calling accounts for a large percentage of this communication which is owned by the Voice Features team. The team’s goal is to drive efficient revenue generation by enabling Outreach users to make efficient, reliable, and high-quality voice calls to keep in touch with their customers, and comply with data management and security policies.
Our team needs people to help us with our ambitious goals.
About the Team
Our system handles half a million voice calls per day. Nearly everything an Outreach customer does involves our part of the system, and we never want to be in the way of our users reaching their customers - or their goals. We’re charged with designing and delivering impactful features, like real-time call transcription, which requires a crisp design approach to answer nebulous and challenging problems.
We leverage a third-party vendor, Twilio, for establishing and controlling real-time voice calls via WebRTC and APIs. Customers trust us with their privacy and data, and with their customer contacts. New legislation and practices (like GDPR) demand compliance that we take seriously, and they keep our work dynamic.
Voice Calling is one of the most visible features of our product. Due to the real-time nature of voice calls, our systems need to have very low latency and high resiliency. We’re currently working to improve our systems and scale them to larger volumes so we can accommodate even bigger customers. Monitoring and Observability of our application is critical to ensure high availability of our services. Our road-map contains a rich suite of features for our customers focusing on communication flexibility and efficiency.
On the Voice Features Team We
Implement new features for placing calls efficiently and reliably
Ship code to production every day
Help our customers drive customer communication, resulting in effective and efficient sales contacts that drive their organization’s revenue
Practice Agile development, with Sprints and regular retrospectives
Function in a highly progressive, quick-iteration environment focused on delivering consistent, incremental customer value
Function as a highly collaborative, cross-functional team and foster a learning environment
Own the end-to-end implementation of voice features, including the front-end user experience, back-end services and datastores, and monitoring and alerting on the health of our services.
Your Daily Adventures Will Include
- 3+ years experience making changes in our Ruby on Rails back-end and React and Typescript client to add necessary monitoring and telemetry data to get top-level feature health metrics
- Developing new automated tests to ensure we are delivering high-quality software quickly
- Developing end-to-end testing framework of our core features
- Contributing to the evolution of our CI/CD pipeline
- Developing and maintaining monitoring and alerting systems for our services
- Working with the team to develop and document detailed test suites
- Actively participating in requirement gathering and design reviews, to ensure Observability is a top priority through feature development
- Assisting in gathering and analyzing test metrics and suggests improvements to the software development and testing processes
- Responding to changing requirements efficiently and responsibly
- Learning new tools and skill sets
- Quickly becoming a strong contributor on the team
- Highly Experienced using automation testing tools and techniques
- Test case and test scenario writing; both manual and automated
- Great communications skills
- Experience with continuous-deployment projects
- Willing to go above and beyond to help other team members
- Understanding of the impact on the reliability and efficiency of our service
- Willing to learn from others, and flexible in approach
- Focus on complete solutions
- You embody our core values. We are hungry craftspeople, we have grit, we are honest, we take ownership, we have each other’s back no matter what, we’re one with our customers, and we find strength in diversity and inclusion
Read Full Job Description