Software Development Manager, Developer Tooling
At Qualtrics, our mission is to close experience gaps—the costly differences between what customers and employees expect, and what they’re receiving.
9,000+ organizations worldwide and more than 80% of the Fortune 100 rely on the Qualtrics Experience Management Platform™ to collect, analyze, and act on feedback—more feedback than they ever thought possible. With Qualtrics XM, organizations can manage the four core experiences of business—customer, employee, product, and brand experience. Organizations can be at every meaningful touchpoint, for every experience, and predict what will resonate most with customers and employees.
The Developer Tooling team is a cornerstone of the Qualtrics engineering organization. We are responsible for the systems that drive the entire software development lifecycle. We help Qualtrics Software developers innovate faster by eliminating wasted effort in the software delivery process. We hire world-class talent, which demands world-class leadership.
As the leader of the Developer Tooling organization, your customers will be the developers inside Qualtrics. They are some of the most demanding and appreciative customers, driven to innovate on behalf of our customers. Success means delivering real value during a time of explosive growth.
As the manager of Developer Tooling you will lead a team responsible for the research, development and operation of our developer services. You will take charge of the operation and delivery of a framework that spans from development environment utilities like source code control and build services, through to container deployment, orchestration, elastic compute infrastructure and service discovery and consumption in production. You will be responsible for developing and growing a team of engineers. You will have the autonomy to define a roadmap that meets the short and long-term needs of your customers.
We are seeking someone who is comfortable with high degrees of ambiguity, who is proficient at operating mission-critical services at scale, mentoring engineers, and acting as a technical leader to set the direction and vision for the Qualtrics developer platform.
- BA/BS degree in computer science or related field
- 5+ years experience of owning a customer-facing, highly-available, large scale web-based service.
- 5+ years of perfection in operating this service.
- Deep understanding of web application architecture, including TCP/IP and HTTP
- Experience and knowledge of load balancing, caching, CDNs, and clustering technologies.
- Experience with common monitoring tools such as Nagios, AppDynamics, Graphite and statsd
- Development experience in a high level language like Java, PHP, Ruby or Python. Ideally you are a systems engineer with developer experience or a developer with strong systems engineering knowledge. No IDE-only developers.
- Experience with software development lifecycle technologies (ex. Rundeck, Git, Jenkins, artifactory services, etc)
- Knowledge of SQL (MySQL) tuning and optimization is important. Experience with memcached, Redis and Elasticsearch is a bonus.
- Worked with or implemented configuration management using tools like Puppet or Chef
- Excited about learning new technologies
- A mentality of 'Automate everything!'
- A great teammate and go-getter, with a focus on getting stuff done
What differentiates us from other companies
- Work life integration is deeply important to us - we have frequent office events, team outings, and happy hours.
- We take pride in our offices design aiming at cultivating creativity from our rooftop views to an open and collaborative work space.
- On top of standard benefits package (medical, dental, vision, life insurance, etc) we provide snacks, drinks, and free lunches in our office.
- We believe in sharing Qualtrics success which is part of the compensation for all employees.