Ready to challenge yourself to dive deep and think big? Ookla, the company behind Speedtest and Downdetector, is a team of passionate individuals who have turned clever ideas into unique products and a thriving business. Globally, millions of tests are performed every day across the Speedtest ecosystem on the web, desktop and mobile apps, embedded in routers and deployed in thousands of servers. With all that usage comes countless ways to dissect and analyze our data, and plenty of exciting opportunities to optimize our monetization strategy. It also gives us the ability to help make the internet better, faster and more accessible for everyone. If you crave the chance to do your best work in a flexible work environment where we value individuality and fun as much as we value talent, we want to hear from you.
We are looking for a highly capable software engineer to join our Core Services team. You will be responsible for building performant and scalable web services and data pipelines to power our cutting edge user experiences.
You enjoy solving interesting problems with robust and performant solutions. You're excited for the opportunity to work on high-volume, low-latency web applications and petabyte-scale data pipelines utilizing latest technologies. You thrive in a collaborative environment and jump at the opportunity for cross-functional problem solving.
You want to make a better Internet for everyone. You already use Ookla’s tools to check your broadband or mobile data performance, now you have a chance to be a part of the team that produces them.
We are people first, employees second at Ookla, and we know there is no one perfect path to any job. If you’re excited about the work we’re doing and think you have a creative new approach, please apply whether or not your experience matches the job description. We strongly believe diversity of all kinds makes us better. We are an equal opportunity employer actively working to build an inclusive workforce at all levels of the company. [Read our latest diversity report here]Expectations for Success
- Design, build, and improve components of a high-volume distributed software system and data pipeline
- Solve for reliability, scalability, observability, and flexibility, while implementing services that power Speedtest and other Ookla products.
- Collaborate with other teams and job functions to deliver solutions that meet customer expectations and business objectives
- Mentor team members as they grow in areas where you are already competent
The heading says “requirements” but we’re looking for the right person not the exact list. If your life experience prepares you for similar challenges, we’d like to hear from you.
- 3+ years of professional software engineering.
- Expertise with Go, Node.js, or similar server-side language, with a solid foundation in data structures, algorithms and design patterns.
- Expertise with AWS or other equivalent cloud services.
- Experience writing unit and integration tests.
- Proficiency with collaborative development workflows (branches, PRs) and continuous integration practices and frameworks.
- Strong time management skills and a self driven work ethic.
- Experience designing and developing scalable web services
- Experience with front end development such as React
- Working knowledge of large-scale data tier building blocks (SQL DB fundamentals, NoSQL data stores, cache layers, queues/message brokers, data modeling)
- Familiarity with web service operations and best practices (containerization, load balancing, monitoring, logging and metrics, etc…)
- Contribution to open source projects.
We offer competative compensation, flexible schedules, transit passes, on- and off-site happy hours (when it is safe to do so again), team activities (even remotely), lunch on Wednesdays and an office kitchen full of snacks (when we are back in the office). Our comprehensive benefits package includes 401(k) matching, unlimited paid vacation and sick time, ESPP options, health/dental insurance coverage and a stand-out parental leave. We make sure you have the best hardware, software and tools available for you to do your work, and we provide excellent flexibility for working remotely as time and responsibilities allow. Visit [our Built In Seattle page].