We’re Ookla, the company behind Speedtest, Downdetector, and an ever-expanding suite of connectivity tools. Our team is a group of people brought together through passion and inspired by possibility. We are looking for team members who enjoy solving complex problems, are motivated to challenge themselves, and are delighted with turning clever ideas into unique products.
Millions of tests are performed through our products and thousands of data points are collected globally every day. With all this usage comes countless ways to dissect and analyze our data, and plenty of exciting opportunities to optimize our monetization strategy. When you work for us, you are using Ookla data and insights to further our mission to improve connectivity for all.
We are committed to providing you a flexible work environment where individuality, fun, and talent are all valued equally. If you consider yourself innovative, adept at collaboration, and you care deeply about the work you do, we want to talk!
We are looking for a highly capable software engineer to join our Powered team and contribute to the core libraries that power every Speedtest client, and to the SDKs used by third-party device manufacturers and application developers.
You will be responsible for designing and building features that perform a wide variety of network tests, using platform-specific languages (Java/Kotlin, Objective-C/Swift, ...) to access and exercise device hardware and C++ for cross-platform functionality.
You love to code and appreciate well designed APIs, as you will need to strike the right balance between SDK and application code. You have experience with Android and are interested in iOS platforms and embedded environments. You want to make a better Internet for everyone. You already use Ookla’s tools to check your broadband or mobile data performance, now you have a chance to be a part of the team that produces them.Expectations for Success
- Develop and maintain the SDKs that provide network testing functionality to third party device manufacturers and application developers. This includes design, implementation, testing, documentation, deployment, development support and maintenance.
- Solve for reliability, flexibility, portability, and code reuse.
- Integrate analytics to ensure optimal performance of deployed code.
- Collaborate on architecture, technology choices, and interactions with other core components such as front end code, backend APIs or our distributed server network.
We are looking for the right person, not the exact list of requirements. If you believe your life experience has prepared you for similar challenges, we’d like to hear from you.
- 4+ years of software development experience, with a solid foundation in data structures, algorithms, and design patterns.
- Experience with Android using Kotlin or Java
- Strong understanding of networking fundamentals (IP, TCP/UDP, HTTP/S, WebSocket).
- Experience writing unit, integration, load and stress tests.
- Proficiency with collaborative development workflows (branches, PRs) and continuous integration practices.
- Excellent debugging and troubleshooting skills.
- Strong time management skills and a self driven work ethic.
- Experience with iOS or embedded systems using Swift, Objective-C, and C++.
We care deeply about each other and the work we do, and our perks are just one way we demonstrate this. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including (but not limited to):
- 401(k) matching,
- unlimited PTO,
- ESPP options,
- health/dental/vision insurance coverage, and
- enhanced parental leave.
You will have the best hardware, software, and tools available for you to do your work, and we provide excellent flexibility for working remotely as time and responsibilities allow. To promote your success and growth, we offer tuition reimbursement, educational opportunities, and anti-racism and LGBTQIA+ resource libraries. Transit passes, team happy hours and activities, and gym reimbursements are only a few of the additional, outstanding perks available to you at Ookla!
If you’re passionate about joining the work we’re doing, we welcome your application and encourage applicants with both traditional and non-traditional experience that makes them an excellent candidate for the role. We strongly believe diversity of all kinds makes us better. We are an equal opportunity employer actively working to build an inclusive workforce at all levels of the company. [Read our latest diversity report from our parent company here.]
We want to ensure candidates have everything they need throughout our application and hiring process. If you have any individual needs related to disability or accessibility, we encourage you to contact and let us know how we can best accommodate you.