Ready to challenge yourself to dive deep and think big? Ookla, the company behind Speedtest and Downdetector, is a team of passionate individuals who have turned clever ideas into unique products and a thriving business. Globally, millions of tests are performed every day across the Speedtest ecosystem on the web, desktop and mobile apps, embedded in routers and deployed in thousands of servers. With all that usage comes countless ways to dissect and analyze our data, and plenty of exciting opportunities to optimize our monetization strategy. It also gives us the ability to help make the internet better, faster and more accessible for everyone. If you crave the chance to do your best work in a flexible work environment where we value individuality and fun as much as we value talent, we want to hear from you.
We are looking for a highly capable software engineer to join our Engine team and contribute to the core libraries that power every Speedtest client, and to the SDKs used by third-party device manufacturers and application developers.
You will be responsible for designing and building features that perform a wide variety of network tests, using platform-specific languages (Java/Kotlin, Objective-C/Swift, ...) to access and exercise device hardware and C++ for cross-platform functionality.
You love to code and appreciate well designed APIs, as you will need to strike the right balance between SDK and application code. You have experience with Android and are interested in iOS platforms and embedded environments. You want to make a better Internet for everyone. You already use Ookla’s tools to check your broadband or mobile data performance, now you have a chance to be a part of the team that produces them.
We are people first, employees second at Ookla, and we know there is no one perfect path to any job. If you’re excited about the work we’re doing and think you have a creative new approach, please apply whether or not your experience matches the job description. We strongly believe diversity of all kinds makes us better. We are an equal opportunity employer actively working to build an inclusive workforce at all levels of the company. [Read our latest diversity report here]Expectations for Success
- Develop and maintain the SDKs that provide network testing functionality to third party device manufacturers and application developers. This includes design, implementation, testing, documentation, deployment, development support and maintenance.
- Solve for reliability, flexibility, portability, and code reuse.
- Integrate analytics to ensure optimal performance of deployed code.
- Collaborate on architecture, technology choices, and interactions with other core components such as front end code, backend APIs or our distributed server network.
The heading says “requirements” but we’re looking for the right person not the exact list. If your life experience prepares you for similar challenges, we’d like to hear from you.
- 4+ years of software development experience, with a solid foundation in data structures, algorithms, and design patterns.
- Experience with Android using Kotlin or Java
- Strong understanding of networking fundamentals (IP, TCP/UDP, HTTP/S, WebSocket).
- Experience writing unit, integration, load and stress tests.
- Proficiency with collaborative development workflows (branches, PRs) and continuous integration practices.
- Excellent debugging and troubleshooting skills.
- Strong time management skills and a self driven work ethic.
- Experience with iOS or embedded systems using Swift, Objective-C, and C++.
We offer competative compensation, flexible schedules, transit passes, on- and off-site happy hours (when it is safe to do so again), team activities (even remotely), lunch on Wednesdays and an office kitchen full of snacks (when we are back in the office). Our comprehensive benefits package includes 401(k) matching, unlimited paid vacation and sick time, ESPP options, health/dental insurance coverage and a stand-out parental leave. We make sure you have the best hardware, software and tools available for you to do your work, and we provide excellent flexibility for working remotely as time and responsibilities allow. Visit [our Built In Seattle page].