Software Engineer, Site Reliability Engineering and DevOps Team
PayScale is the world leader in modern compensation software. Our crowdsourced data and unique algorithms power the world’s largest real-time database of rich salary profiles giving both employers and employees immediate visibility into the right pay for any position. We believe that transparent, fact-based relationships between companies and employees will generate the best outcomes, enabling both to thrive.
We’re disrupting the compensation industry and we are looking to bring on scrappy engineers with diverse perspectives. We foster a playful work atmosphere where highly motivated individuals can be truly innovative. Are you bright, tenacious, and inventive? If so, PayScale may be the perfect place for you to grow your career!
Headquartered in Seattle's Pioneer Square neighborhood, we are a fast-growing Francisco Partners portfolio company.
About the Site Reliability Engineering and DevOps Team
Our motto: "Make every engineer at PayScale stronger, faster and better-looking."
Our backup motto: "We don't do your job for you, we just make it ridiculously easy to do"
This can take many forms, and really varies from project-to-project. An example of a project we've done in the past is converting our applications from our old bespoke build and deploy system to using standard continuous integration and deployment tools. We're pushing our operations from our colocation facility to cloud providers, and this team is integral to doing that safely, securely, efficiently and cost-effectively. Expect to work with IaaS, PaaS, and containers with Kubernetes.
Technologies We're Using
The SRE team tends to lean towards the back end. We use a lot of cool technology on the front-end too, we just spend less time with it.
- Cloud providers: Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Azure.
- For machine and application build and deployment: Terraform, Chef, TeamCity, Octopus Deploy, Kubernetes, and more.
- For log shipping and reporting: Apache Kafka, Snowflake, Elasticsearch and more.
- In addition to the above, we also use some other fun technologies: RabbitMQ, Redis, MongoDB, Datadog, Azure App Insights
We take a very pragmatic approach to infrastructure development: we use what makes sense for what we're trying to do. We're not dogmatic about anything. If we think we're currently using the wrong thing, and it makes sense to switch, we will.
What You'll Do:
- You will create things that will be used. A lot. The work we do is heavily-leveraged by other teams within PayScale to do their work.
- You will work across all aspects of a large-scale software-as-a-service application, including machine automation, deployments and more.
- You will work in a collaborative team environment with highly skilled specialists in many areas, including: data warehousing, web analytics, distributed systems, machine learning, search, and econometrics.
- You will maintain, improve and expand usage of our internal products for: build, deploy, provisioning, logging, monitoring, alerting, disaster recovering, and more.
What You'll Need:
- You have a background in: builds, deployments, monitoring, testing, chat bots.
- You have scripting-language skills (e.g. Python, PowerShell, Bash).
- You have 2+ years of professional development or scripting experience.
- You have excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- You have some experience with object-oriented programming (e.g. Java, C#).
- You have working knowledge of relational and NoSQL databases (e.g. SQL Server, MySQL, Postgres, MongoDB, Redis).
- You can explain technical concepts to developers, project managers, and technical managers.
- You have the ability and desire to team up with others, solving complex problems that often require independent research with minimal supervision.
Benefits & Perks – The Highlights:
- Unlimited Paid Time Off policy
- 10 paid holidays AND Summer office closure the entire week of July 4th
- Amazing Medical/Vision/Dental/Prescription coverage: 100% company-paid premiums for employees; 50% for eligible partners and dependents
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) options for pre-tax employee allocations towards: Medical, Dependent Care, Parking, and Transit
- Long Term Disability, Short Term Disability, and Company-paid Life Insurance
- Maternity and Paternity Leave and onsite Mother’s Room
- 401k which vests immediately, complete with company match
- Onsite bike storage, lockers, showers, and clothes dryer
- Ergo friendly chairs and sitting-standing desks
- Company-hosted happy hours every Friday afternoon
- Fido Fridays (our canine colleagues join us the first Friday of every month. WOOF!)
Equal Opportunity Employer: PayScale provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. PayScale complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.