Software Engineering Manager
As an Engineering Manager, you will lead a team responsible for engineering and maintaining a server appliance located within customer datacenters, solving remote management and deployment automation problems.
Avalara is the worldwide leader in sales and use tax calculation. The work we do is fundamental to day-to-day e-commerce business.
We have a startup culture focused on building great software and having the maximum impact on the world that we can and having fun while doing it. We’d love to talk to you about what we are up to.
Specific objectives and responsibilities
The successful candidate should have robust client-server development experience, a proven ability to learn new approaches in emerging technologies, a high degree of intellectual curiosity, experience with multiple software development methodologies, excellent problem-solving skills, and strong communication and interpersonal skills.
The person who succeeds in this role will enable the continued growth of an on-premise solution of the AvaTax product, delivering reliability, performance and features to the product.
Primary responsibilities of this role
- Provide leadership of the on-premise AvaTax solution to the engineering team.
- Champion of development best practices for the team: design, architecture, re-use, performance, and quality.
- Ensure that product architecture and technology decisions support business area strategies and future direction of product lines.
- Take active ownership of complex feature areas in the application and technical problems.
- Have the ability to write code, establishing high standards around productivity, quality, and simplicity.
- Enjoys helping coworkers by reviewing their code, pair-programming, and evangelizing better practices.
- Provide people, process, and hands-on technical leadership to the engineering team.
- Mentor, motivate, and lead the engineering team to support a vibrant and productive engineering culture.
- Be the engineering team’s agile or kanban process evangelist and help the team learn, adopt and grow into actively using the methodologies.
- Actively engage in planning, delivery and managing the releases.
- Ensure consistent best practices, processes, and procedures for software development, quality assurance, and maintenance.
- Thrive on learning new technologies, don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions and adapt easily to meet the needs of massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment
- Actively engages with developing industry tools and practices to remain current.
- Coordinate recruiting efforts across engineering center to ensure consistency and continued excellence.
Qualifications (absolute must haves walking in the door)
- Currently in an engineering management role and have experience working on scalable software products with engineering teams.
- Worked on a diverse set of full stack and back end technologies.
- Hands on skills in one or more object-oriented programming languages.
- Experience with AWS technology stack and services.
- Motivated to explore new opportunities in leading edge technologies.
- Highly detail oriented and well organized.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.