Chewy is hiring a Senior Director of Engineering for the Native Mobile App (NMA) team in Seattle, WA to lead Chewy’s mobile app ecosystem and related Consumer Experiences (CX). The NMA team’s mandate is to deliver compelling end-to-end experiences that grow and deepen relationships with pet parents and increase their engagement with the Chewy iOS and Android apps. As a technology leader, you will own both the feature and platform engineering teams to deliver engaging customer experiences. This is a high-profile position that will have exposure across the entire business, influencing the vision and implementation of architecture, design and features for these platforms.
You will have the ability to shape Chewy’s long-term strategies and translate them into actionable, motivating, and measurable goals. Finally, you will be involved in high-impact decisions and initiatives undertaken by the company, giving you a front row seat to shape Chewy’s growth.
To be successful in the role, you will need a proven track record of being a disruptor, innovator, and forward-looking technology leader. Equally as important, you will need to operate at depth, understanding every detail of the organization’s product goals, as well as being able to “zoom out” to connect the dots across the technology stack. We are seeking an inspiring people leader, a strong cross-functional collaborator, an outstanding communicator, and a nimble, strategic thinker. Finally, you will have demonstrated flexibility and willingness to roll up your sleeves to lead your team through ever changing priorities and interesting challenges. A start-up mentality is a must.
What You’ll Do:
- Apply vision, strategy, and thought leadership to impact Chewy, at scale
- Manage and lead a team of experienced Software Development Managers, Software Engineers, and Quality Engineers
- Work with others in Engineering Leadership to drive best practices in software development, testing, and production operations
- Partner with our recruiting team to continue to build your team and mentor the growth of the current talented team
- Drive technical decisions and work with your product owners to manage the backlogs to support multiple teams within the Chewy Software organization
- Establish strong working relationships at all organizational levels and across functional teams
- Identify and manage priorities within the context of overall Chewy objectives
- Partner with C-Suite and VP leaders
- Work with others in Engineering Management to drive best practices in software development, testing, and production deployment
What You’ll Need:
- Demonstrated history of implementing and managing significant software development projects
- 10+ years of experience in Software Development as a software engineer
- 8+ years of experience in Engineering Management
- Proven delivery experience working under an Agile/Scrum methodology
- Demonstrated experience leading teams building and growing iOS and/or Android apps
- Able to work under pressure and to adapt to changing circumstances while applying analytical and technical skills to shape corporate initiatives
- Proven record in attracting, developing, and motivating the talent needed for current and future business needs. Demonstration of maintaining high performance expectations and leading teams to achieve results in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in communicating clearly and effectively (verbally and in writing) to senior leadership audiences internally and externally (board members - a strong plus). Strong presentation skills and ability to communicate complex financial concepts in a simple way and to tailor key messages and presentation style to multiple audiences
- Must possess a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or related field, or equivalent experience
- Position will require travel between Seattle and Boston at least twice per calendar year