The Qualtrics XM Platform™ is a system of action that helps businesses to attract customers who stay longer and buy more, to engage and empower employees to do the best work of their lives, to develop breakthrough products people love, and to build a brand people can’t imagine living without.
Joining Qualtrics means becoming part of a team bold enough to chase breakthrough experiences - like building a technology that will be a force for good. A team committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion because of a conviction that every voice holds value, with a vision for representation that matches the world around us and inclusion that far exceeds it. You could belong to a team whose values center on transparency, being all in, having customer obsession, acting as one team, and operating with scrappiness. All so you can do the best work of your career.
We believe every interaction is an opportunity. Are we yours?
Staff Software Engineer - AWS
This position is specifically for a staff engineer who is passionate about going deep with cloud infrastructure and platform technologies and can apply their skills to optimize our strategies and practices of using cloud offerings to support Qualtrics XM Platform. Hands-on experience with AWS is required as you will be the resident expert on everything AWS. You will work closely with the fleet engineering, security operations, and foundational services teams to define a sound base layer of policies, strategies, and tools that the rest of Engineering can build on. You will also work with other engineering teams to evaluate their needs for the cloud, and advise on how best to utilize PaaS and IaaS offerings. You will be responsible for having a holistic view and constantly monitoring our usage trends to inform the North Star architecture direction. In the process, you will also have the opportunity to build and deploy tools and processes to accomplish your goals.
You will have the opportunity to work on the following
- Improve the fundamentals engineering layers (account management, security, network topology, and operational visibility) for adopting AWS cloud platforms
- Participate in experimentation and evaluation of solutions with Amazon solutions architects
- Learn and teach best practices regarding AWS technologies across Qualtrics
- Create organizational visibility for cloud usage with alerts on important trends or spikes that appear
- Create Engineering-wide best practice guidelines and policies related to cloud computing
- Consult with the rest of engineering to ensure judicious use of AWS across the organization and establish the cloud computing center of excellence
- Build and deploy the tools and processes that help accomplish your goals
Expectations for Success
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science
- 8+ years of relevant experience
- 2+ years of AWS experience involving overall product architecture design and hands-on implementation
- Ability to design highly scalable, reliable, and secure distributed architectures
- Strong understanding of software development life cycle and project management best practices
- Strong tendency to delve into data and metrics to extract hidden insights
- Hands-on DevOps experience and knowledge
- Strong level of curiosity and interest to learn and teach
A Day in the Life
You work closely with the fleet engineering team and security operations to ensure that our engineering teams are using AWS in an economical and secure manner. You also work with individual teams to help them architect their components in the context of cloud environment on AWS. You interface with Amazon solutions architects to discuss experimentation and evaluation of potential adoption of additional AWS IaaS and PaaS offerings. You also make sure that we have robust operational posture and good communication plans as relates to any incident management involving AWS.
You have a holistic understanding of our cloud usage, and monitor the trends. You will detect any new usage trends and cost overruns and work on strategies to address them proactively working with the engineering leadership.
You work in a team that directly reports to the CTO and have support and coaching from other senior architects on the same team to help you be successful at the mission of defining and driving the cloud computing strategy at Qualtrics. You will also contribute to the overall company North Star architecture.