CFO (Bellevue) at OfferUp
OfferUp is dedicated to building the simplest and most trustworthy way for people to buy and sell in their communities. Every year, millions of people use OfferUp to buy and sell locally, resulting in billions of dollars of local commerce. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., our iOS and Android app has been in the top five most popular shopping apps lists for more than three years. Join us as we build the marketplace of the future and reinvent local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust.
At a Glance
- 85M+ Downloads
- Geekwire App of Year
- 15+ percent of adults in key markets like Los Angeles, Seattle, Miami and Las Vegas use OfferUp every month
About the role:
OfferUp is seeking a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to lead the Finance and Accounting organization at OfferUp. OfferUp has a diverse and growing portfolio of business lines that require an experienced financial leader. These business lines include Promoted Products/Advertising, Autos, E-Commerce/Shipping, the core Local Marketplace business, and other planned new product initiatives. The CFO will oversee and direct financial planning and reporting, while ensuring accounting and tax compliance. The CFO will collaborate with the Product, Engineering, Sales, Business Development, Marketing, Legal, and Customer Support teams to continuously improve the financial results and outlook, while strengthening the company's operations. The CFO will define the optimal near and long-term financial direction, build a high performing team, and establish clear and effective processes.
We are looking for a leader to help execute our growth strategy and expand the business in a lean environment.
In this role, you will fill four fundamental capacities:
- Transformer. As a transformer, the CFO will work with the leadership team to shape, grow, and execute OfferUp's long-term strategy. The CFO will be key in developing and driving operational and financial changes that will contribute to a scalable, profitable business.
- Challenger. As a challenger, the CFO acts as a steward of future value in the strategy process by critically examining the risks to, and expected returns on, different strategic options. The right CFO can manage the difficult balance of rigorously challenging proposed approaches while continuing to be viewed and valued as a growth-minded and prudent risk-oriented team member.
- Architect. Partnering with business leaders, the CFO has a crucial role helping shape strategy choices and applying finance strategies to complement and maximize the value of particular strategies.
- Responder. As a responder, the CFO, along with the finance organization, will support OfferUp’s development by helping key business leaders quantitatively analyze the financial implications of different strategic and operational choices.
You must be a highly motivated person with a history of success collaborating to raise the bar of the executive leadership team, contributing meaningful insights on the operations and strategic direction of the company. This CFO is a smart, data-driven decision maker, who excels at hiring and developing a high performing team, takes professional pride in operational excellence, and meets or exceeds stretch goals. The right candidate will have deep subject matter expertise in financial planning, reporting, and ensuring accounting and tax compliance. OfferUp expects that all of its executives, including the CFO, will be highly adaptable -- having been successful in meeting the rigorous standards of a public company as well as being an effective leader in a more nimble, early stage company. Finally, the CFO must be driven to lead OfferUp through the inevitable ups and downs that come with being part of a venture-backed tech company.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Organizational Leadership. Partner with the CEO, COO, executive leadership team, and Board of Directors to set annual financial goals and long-range financial plans. Engage on issues, trends, data and changes in the online marketplace business and competitive environment. Continuously assess and communicate organizational performance against budget and strategic financial objectives. Lead the modeling and analysis of future business scenarios and strategic choices. Enhance financial acumen and the advancement of transparency within the organization through the sharing of financial data with operational insights and actionable recommendations.
- Financial Planning & Analysis. Make financial recommendations to leadership. Provide projections, analysis, and guidance for evaluating capital expenditures, new business opportunities, and, when needed, course corrections. Lead financial and accounting activities, including negotiation of budgets, contracts, and agreements. s. Develop financial models, forecasts, and reports required for decision making.
- Accounting, Reporting, & Investor Relations. Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting. Oversee the preparation and communication of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports to the executive team and Board of Directors. Direct the preparation of all financial statements. Provide oversight of data integrity and cost control systems intended to preserve company assets and report accurate financial results to ensure timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial trends, and forecasts. Prepare and execute a plan to engage with investors and Board members to provide accurate, timely, and useful communication on the Company’s operations, financial position, opportunities, and risks.
- Leader and Champion for OfferUp. Act as a champion and role model leader for OfferUp’s mission, vision, and values and partner across the company to drive a high-performance work environment.
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- A minimum of 15 years of financial management experience within a high-performance tech company serving millions of customers.
- A minimum of 5 years of CFO and/or senior management experience. Previous CFO experience is preferred, but not required.
- A proven track record of setting a financial vision and strategy for a company, and driving solutions and practices that are both innovative and scrappy.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. You are able to communicate effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders in any function and at all levels of the organization.
- Experience and polish as an external spokesperson capable of developing effective relationships with investors, financial institutions, and board members.
- Experience raising and managing capital from private and public markets.
- Detail orientation, sound judgement, an ability to break down complex problems and find simple, elegant solutions.
- You manage and lead using data, establishing effective metrics, and reporting for the organization.
- Fluency in, and ability to coach and teach others in operational excellence. You lead and establish effective processes including operating planning, R&O, cost management.
- Strong leader of people who has a track record for identifying, attracting, developing, and retaining a talented and diverse team of Finance and Accounting professionals. You are an effective mentor who drives inclusion and diversity within your ranks.
- Thought-leader who inspires ideas, encourages test & learn, and takes well-thought-out risks.
- Combination of experience working with large companies that have established best of class financial and operational practices as well as operating effectively within a smaller, resource constrained, early-stage technology company.
- Bachelor's degree
Helpful, but not required:
- Marketplace, consumer tech/mobile, e-commerce and advertising experience
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/tagged/culture
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.