Senior Technical Accountant at Smartsheet
Senior Technical Accountant
This Senior Accountant role is a newly created role at Smartsheet designed to help the company navigate through its continued growth. Smartsheet has many customers who purchase our software-as-a-service and professional services offerings through different channels. The Senior Accountant will be tasked with reviewing negotiated customer contracts for revenue recognition implications. They will work closely with the SEC Reporting Team, the Revenue Accounting team, and Financial Operations team to ensure that each of the negotiated sales deals are executed on with excellence from operational, revenue accounting, and financial reporting perspectives.
The role will report into the SEC Reporting and Technical Accounting team which owns technical accounting topics and leads the coordination, preparation and publishing of all required SEC reports and filings. A strong performer in this role will receive exposure to various technical topics across the company as well as to operational topics related to revenue. This role will be company’s expert on ASC 606 accounting.
This full-time position reports to the Senior Manager of SEC Reporting & Technical Accounting and is based in Smartsheet’s corporate offices in Bellevue, WA.
- Analyze significant and complex revenue contracts to evaluate technical accounting treatment in accordance with ASC 606
- Communicate and explain accounting conclusions related to complex customer contracts to Smartsheet’s Revenue Accounting team
- Help ensure that complex customer contracts are executed on with excellence across Financial Operations, Revenue Accounting, and SEC Reporting teams
- Assist with technical accounting on non-revenue complex transactions, including research and documentation associated with various topics such as share-based compensation, lease accounting, mergers & acquisitions, etc.
- On a monthly basis, participate in preparation and review of financial statements and variance analyses, especially focusing on revenue.
- Work with the external audit team to provide support and ensure that quarterly reviews and annual audits are on track.
- Monitor activity of the FASB, SEC and other authoritative bodies to identify the potential impact of new accounting guidance.
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly and annual financial statements and footnotes for required SEC reports and filings (10-Q’s, 10-K’s, 8-K’s, etc.), ensuring compliance with US GAAP and SEC requirements.
- Minimum of Bachelor's degree in accounting or a related field. CPA required.
- 3-5 years of progressive experience and demonstrated growth in accounting and/or finance positions.
- Strong understanding and relevant experience with ASC 606 preferred
- Strong understanding of SEC reporting and GAAP
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to explain accounting topics in an understandable and logical manner.
- Previous audit experience, especially through public accounting, is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with SaaS subscription business models is preferred.
- Highly detail-oriented with excellent time management, prioritization, and organizational skills.
- Proactive with a proven track record of fostering relationships across all functions and levels.
- Ability to embrace new technology, applications and solutions.
- A service-focused, customer orientation toward colleagues throughout the company.
- Ability to research areas of technical accounting complexity and apply the applicable guidance to rapidly changing fact patterns in a fast-paced environment.
In 2005, Smartsheet was founded on the idea that teams and millions of people worldwide deserve a better way to deliver their very best work. Today, the company delivers a leading cloud-based platform for work execution, empowering organizations to plan, capture, track, automate, and report on work at scale, resulting in more efficient processes and better business outcomes. Smartsheet went public on the New York Stock Exchange in April 2018 and currently enables collaboration, better decision making, and accelerated innovation for over 76,000 domain-based customers in 190 countries, including 96 of the Fortune 100.
Smartsheet is a place where people love what they do and are empowered to do their best work everyday. We support one another and achieve our goals as a team, not as individuals. Each person, at every level, gets to have an impact.
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Smartsheet are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.