Sr. Billing Operations Analyst
The Sr. Billing Operations Analyst is responsible for billing customers in an accurate and timely manner. Critical job duties include reviewing sales documentation for billing and revenue implications, ensuring that relevant contractual terms are captured in the billing system, preparing reports and other supporting documentation, generating customer invoices, and recommending changes to improve billing processes. The Sr. Billing Operations Analyst must have experience working with billing systems in a high-volume environment and be someone who pays close attention to details. This position reports to the Director of Billing Operations but frequently interacts with other departments.
- Review sales agreements and orders to ensure that relevant contractual terms are captured in the billing system
- Verify that subscriptions are set-up in the billing system properly so that resulting invoices are accurate and produce the correct accounting treatment
- Respond in a timely manner to billing inquiries from both customers and internal constituents
- Assist with the application of daily cash receipts
- Process customer cancellations requests and verify that customer accounts are de-provisioned and accurately refunded if needed
- Work across departments to research and resolve customer issues related to billings
- Prepare billing reports and other related supporting documentation
- Identify and implement billing process improvements that improve the accuracy of invoices, increase efficiency or strengthen controls
- Assist with the development and implementation of billing system improvements, including defining requirements and performing user acceptance tests
- Fulfill quarterly and annual audit requests
- Perform special projects as requested
Qualifications (absolute must haves walking in the door)
- Bachelors’ degree, preferably in Business Administration with an emphasis in Accounting or Finance
- 3+ years of experience in a billing role at a SaaS company with revenues of at least $100 million
- Hands-on experience with a top-tier CRM, billing, and/or ERP system
- Advanced Excel skills (Vlookup, pivot tables)
- Track record for meeting deadlines
- Ability to work across multiple systems and navigate quickly from one system to another
- Aptitude for the accurately processing a high-volume of data
- Familiarity with revenue recognition and other generally accepted accounting principles
- Effective working both independently and within a team
- Skilled at problem-solving; able to discern alternatives, make objective recommendations, and collaborate with others to accomplish goals
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in written form
Preferred Qualifications (great to have but not absolutely necessary)
- Proficiency using SQL
- Hands-on experience with Salesforce, Zuora and/or NetSuite
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.