Sr Tax Research Analyst / SME – VAT Determination
The Senior Tax Research Analyst / SME – VAT Determination will monitor, research and peer review indirect tax changes to maintain and extend our indirect tax coverage and enhance our content quality. Significant prior education, research and documentation expertise in VAT / GST across multiple countries is required. The Sr. Analyst / SME should be able to analyze and interpret tax laws and follow the maintenance and release processes and deadlines to integrate those laws into the tax determination and reporting products. The Sr. Analyst / SME will work closely with other members of the global content team, Product Management and Engineering. The Sr Analyst / SME must be flexible to overlap work schedules with team members from other offices and time zones.
- Interpret and analyze VAT laws, regulations, VAT and other indirect tax return guidelines, notifications, circulars, bulletins, etc. to enable accurate tax calculation
- Ensure the up-to-date maintenance of existing content related to VAT determination for jurisdictions supported by our solutions
- Carry out deep and detailed VAT legislative research to remain current with the latest tax news and take ownership/accountability of the process to see changes through until final implementation
- Be a champion of the Content Team’s continuous improvement in and refinement of their VAT determination legal analyses and research techniques
- Bring greater efficiency to the execution of projects, processes, as well as in coordinating and managing cross-team collaborations
- Handle necessary and complex tax issues and special projects for our VAT products
- Become an SME for Avalara’s VAT Expert and AvaTax VAT solutions
- Ensure and evolve research methods and bring uniformity to research documentation
- Collaborate closely with all key stakeholders, including Engineering, Sales, Marketing, and Customer Support, to enhance internal customer satisfaction
- Support customer service in assisting customers with escalated VAT compliance questions
- Participate in other professional activities as necessary to assure Avalara’s solutions are up-to-date with regards to VAT obligations required by our clients
- Effectively work and communicate legislation changes with team members to accomplish specific tasks in a timely, efficient and productive manner
- Open to accept additional responsibilities to enable the team to meet deadlines
Qualifications (absolute must haves walking in the door)
- 5-10 years demonstrated experience / expertise in Value Added Tax and indirect taxation in the EU and globally
- Educational qualifications in accountancy, business, technology or law
- Written and spoken fluency in English
- Ability to produce high-quality intermediate to advanced VAT / GST research
- Possess the ability and the desire to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Possess strong time management and organization skills to achieve priority results
- Demonstrated high standards of excellence in work product and professionalism
- Possess the ability and desire to work in and adapt to a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Possess excellent logical and analytical skills
- Proficiency in Windows, MS Word, Excel, Access, and other web-based tools
Preferred Qualifications (great to have but not absolutely necessary)
- A JD/MBA/MST
- Fluency in languages other than English
- Demonstrable experience or qualifications in project management or managing process optimization
- Experience in VAT Advisory roles or preparation of with other VAT compliance solutions would be valued, but not essential
- Interest in blogs, webinars, internal and external training and speaking arrangements
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
The perks of working at Avalara go beyond amazing physical spaces and a Tiki Bar. We’re committed to continued progress in diversity and inclusion. As an employee at Avalara, you’ll have the opportunity to join resource groups focused on diversity of thought, engage with your local or global community about topics that matter to you and the organization and receive continued education around inclusion and development. As Avalara grows, so do the voices within it. It’s time to hear your voice.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, gender, nation of origin, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law. We thrive on diversity and encourage people from all walks of life to apply to Avalara’s open positions.