VP, Corporate Controller at Remitly
At Remitly, we help immigrant communities around the world send over $6 billion a year to their loved ones. Sending money is faster, easier, and costs less with our all-digital money transfer platform. Our vision is to transform the lives of immigrants and their families by providing the most trusted financial service products on the planet. At Remitly, your work has a direct and positive impact on people around the globe. Your work matters, every day.
We're looking for a VP, Corporate Controller who can improve financial and strategic decision making across the company through accounting strategy, reporting and risk management. The position reports to the CFO. Our team’s mission is to deliver timely, complete and accurate financial information that can be relied on to help drive impactful financial decisions.
We are looking for a leader who will implement financial processes to support Remitly’s domestic and international growth. The ideal candidate is a strong leader experienced in building and growing global teams who is passionate about fostering strong business partner relationships.
This leader will be responsible for driving process improvements that are critical to help scale the organization. Successful attributes for the role include the ability to see the big picture, plan ahead and look around corners, excel at juggling multiple priorities, and thrive at going above and beyond. You must also exhibit a high attention to detail coupled with strong analytical skills. Headquartered in Seattle and with entities around the globe, the Global Controller must have experience managing international teams and ensuring compliance with all necessary laws.
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead a global accounting team of ~15 people including hiring, mentoring, motivating, and providing clear direction on strategy, goals, and development
- Oversee all accounting and tax functions including: general ledger accounting, accounts payable, revenue accounting, Federal and SALT tax implications/returns and international accounting with teams around the globe
- Responsible for the production and integrity of Remitly’s domestic, international, and consolidated financials in accordance with US GAAP and/or local GAAP, where applicable
- Establish and implement accounting policies and financial controls in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
- Own 409(a) valuations, audit committee meetings and cap table & option ledger management
- Identify and execute on process and systems improvements
- Serve as the company expert on accounting and tax matters, partnering with other departments on structuring policies and advising on accounting and tax implications
- Monitor current trends in regulations related to accounting, tax, and reporting issues while providing guidance on technical accounting and tax decisions and associated documentation
- Evaluate current practices and policies and drive continuous improvement through research and analysis of accounting matters
- Maintain the integrity of all financial transactions and reporting by partnering with the financial systems team to leverage technology to improve efficiency
- Develop positive relationships with the business functions to ensure proactive involvement of the accounting team in business strategy and decisions
- Manage relationships with local and international audit and tax firms
Who we are looking for:
- Progressive experience including a large accounting firm along with industry experience as a Corporate Controller. Public company and external financial reporting experience desired
- Experience building and leading a world-class accounting team and infrastructure in a highly entrepreneurial, rapidly growing environment
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or accounting; CPA required
- Demonstrated knowledge of GAAP & IFRS, current accounting trends, and developments
- International experience, including dealing with multiple currencies
- Experience in payments or a global, high volume industry highly desired; experience in FinTech or regulated environment preferred
- Ability to design and implement processes that are SOX compliant and scalable
- System experience, in particular partnering with internal developers to build proprietary systems
- Strong customer orientation and ability to coach, mentor, and develop team members
- Proven success leading through change
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills with a data-driven mindset
- Excellent partnership skills and written and verbal communication skills
Who we are:
Remitly is the largest independent digital remittance company headquartered in the United States, transferring over $8 billion in annualized volume from its customers in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia to loved ones throughout the world. The company’s proprietary global transfer network includes its easy-to-use mobile app, which makes the process of sending money faster, easier, more transparent and less costly by eliminating the forms, codes, agents, extra time and fees typical of the traditional, century-old money transfer process. Remitly is backed by industry-leading investors, World Bank’s International Finance Corporation (IFC), Naspers’ PayU, Silicon Valley Bank, Stripes Group, DFJ, DN Capital, QED Investors, Trilogy Equity Partners, Bezos Expeditions, Founders’ Co-Op, and TomorrowVentures. The company is headquartered in Seattle, with additional offices in London, the Philippines, and Nicaragua. For more information, visit remitly.com.
Remitly is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Remitly are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Remitly is an eVerify Employer.