Mechanical Engineering Intern - Fall 2018
Synapse Product Development utilizes the talents of engaged and excellence-focused engineers, project managers, and business operations professionals to collaborate on creative and cutting-edge product development solutions for the world’s leading companies. Synapsters embrace the opportunity to work on a variety of challenging projects, find fun in solving hard problems with great coworkers, and understand the value of cross-discipline collaboration to provide stellar client service. Synapse supports an environment of openness and trust where employees work hard to get the job done and still have time to maintain active and meaningful lives.
About Synapse’s Seattle Office
Synapse’s headquarters in the heart of downtown Seattle maintains many of the hallmarks of the company’s start-up roots. The dog-friendly open office environment buzzes with activity, and employees are just as likely to solve problems over the ping-pong table as at the white board. With more than one hundred employees at this work site, Seattle Synapsters maintain the traditions of Wednesday Lunch, a weekly catered meal when the entire office comes together to celebrate successes and navigate shared challenges; Beer:30, where Synapsters are welcome to unwind every other Friday afternoon; and a variety of social events in which family and friends are invited to join in on the fun.
Internships at Synapse
Synapse’s interns assist engineers in designing cool, innovative products for the consumer and industrial spaces, providing support to a multidisciplinary team of software, electrical, mechanical, quality assurance, and new product introduction engineers. Whether assisting with a schematic design, helping with CAD and mechanical drawings, or contributing to the development of embedded firmware and software code bases, Synapse interns bring an attitude of fun, flexibility, and fearlessness to an ever-changing array of exciting design challenges.
Synapse interns participate in lively collaboration, so they are equally comfortable communicating as they are contemplating. They demonstrate the willingness to jump from task to task or even from project to project, sometimes on a daily basis. Synapse interns are always learning—and can even be the ones to teach from time to time: the opportunity to be a listener and a leader exists for Synapsters at every level. Synapse interns are not only willing to understand Synapse’s organizational environment but also demonstrates a curiosity about the clients’ operations and goals as well. They approach each challenge with the eagerness to learn, sense of humor, friendly attitude, and mutual respect that make working at Synapse as enjoyable as it is rewarding.
The application deadline for this internship is July 1st, 2018. Fall internships start in September, and are approximately four months in duration.
- Assist a team of exceptional Mechanical Engineers
- Demonstrate a great attitude and an insatiable need to learn
- Answer the question “Are you ready to . . . ?” with “Yes!” no matter if that request is to clean the fridges, design a test fixture, or meet and present to a client in forty-five minutes
- Embrace involvement in multi-disciplinary projects and demonstrate an interest in engaging with all Synapsters, regardless of their role, background, or experience
- Identify productive activities and initiate collaborative action on them
- Knowledge of what a Dremel is and skillful use of it
- Basic CAD skills in either SolidWorks or Creo (Pro/ENGINEER)
- Hands-on experience building or fixing physical things
- Ability to keep calm and maintain good humor, even when you find your 3D print job failed and resulted in a bird’s nest of filament piled on the build plate
- Availability to intern full time during business hours, Monday to Friday
- Enrollment in or recent graduation from a college or university
- Authorization to work in the United States
Desired Skills and Experience
- Exposure to or background in basic manufacturing processes
- Advanced CAD skills in either SolidWorks or Creo (Pro/ENGINEER)
A PORTFOLIO IS REQUIRED of all mechanical engineering intern applicants. Any application without a portfolio will not be considered. Please upload your portfolio in the appropriate application section.
A portfolio should exemplify your skills, show projects you have worked on, and highlight any other type of work you’ve done in the mechanical engineering field. It should be a presentation of you and your experiences as they relate to the job qualifications.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.