Research Intern, Greater China (professionally proficient in Mandarin) at PitchBook
At PitchBook we work to provide global professionals with comprehensive data on the entire venture capital, private equity and M&A landscape so they can discover and execute opportunities with confidence. We credit our success and rapid growth to our cutting-edge products, customer centered attitude and ability to embrace and drive change.In just over a decade, PitchBook has reached over 1,300 global employees with offices worldwide, and we're not slowing down! Consistently recognized as a Best Place to Work, our culture is at the heart of our success and is driven by excellence, inclusion and fun. At PitchBook we're committed to fostering an open and collaborative work environment.
About the Role:
Research is responsible for the core of what we do as a company: delivering high quality data on the private markets to thousands of discerning customers. This is done through our various data collection processes consisting of web-based data scraping, entering of data from publicly available documents, web researching of hard-to-find information, and direct communication with executives, investors and advisors involved in transactions and fundraising.
Research Interns focus on secondary research, which is the collection of data publicly available from websites, news sources and other sources. work alongside other interns and full-time researchers on several projects related to expanding PitchBook's coverage of the Greater China venture capital and private equity space. These projects span multiple teams within the research department, including company secondary research, investor secondary research and sourcing operations research. You will learn our proprietary research processes, including advanced Boolean search techniques and complex data entry using our in-house developed Research Tool Suite (RTS).
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Conduct research and collect data on venture-backed companies and surrounding eco-system entities using Boolean search techniques and publicly available sources to gain a full understanding of the investment landscape
- Enter data into PitchBook's proprietary Research Tool Suite, while adhering to complex research tracking methodologies to ensure that data is of the utmost quality
- Maintain a close eye for quality data and keeping the interests of our clients in mind while you audit and build out venture-backed company profiles
- As needed, assist the investor and sourcing operations research teams to ensure a robust pipeline of quality work for the project team
- Communicate effectively and efficiently with your team lead and other stakeholders across the Research department to provide updates on project progress, address roadblocks and celebrate wins
- Along with your team lead, work with large, often unstructured, datasets to analyze team production and level of coverage for the Chinese VC dataset
- Support the vision and values of the company by setting an example and demonstrating desired behaviors
- Participate in various company initiatives and projects as requested
- Currently enrolled at an accredited institution of higher education.
- Self-motivated with an amazing attention to detail
- The ability to read and write Mandarin proficiently
- Analytical and process-oriented with a dedication to continuous improvement
- Focused with a high amount of mental stamina – ability to research for long periods of time
- Ability to problem solve and use judgment to make decisions within ambiguous research situations
- Must be interested in the private equity, venture capital and M&A industries or willing to gain industry knowledge
- Must be able to work independently and as a team member in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of the MS Office suite including Outlook, Word and Excel