Legal Operations Manager
Smartsheet is looking for an experienced legal operations manager to support and drive process improvements, operations review, inter- and intra-department collaboration, initiatives, and creativity to improve the operation of our legal team. This team member will be responsible for the configuration, administrative management, maintenance, and continuous improvement of legal operations processes, technologies, and automations. The role supports the legal team generally with an emphasis on supporting the privacy group.
- Manage legal department’s use of technology and automation
- Optimize and enhance existing technologies and processes. Identify, design, and implement improvements to streamline how we function through continuous assessment of our processes, systems, and technology.
- Evaluate new processes (including automations), including automated workflows, document management, contract and policy life-cycle management, dashboards, group communication platforms, etc.
- Update and maintain internal and external websites and resources.
- Document, train, and give guidance
- Develop, improve, and take ownership of team training materials.
- Deliver training and guidance to employees in other departments on practices and procedures for interactions with the Smartsheet legal team.
- Document, maintain, publish, and update the team’s internal policies and processes, and create training for the legal team as necessary.
- Manage workload and workflow
- Develop and maintain processes to manage team workload (incl. managing capacity planning, work procedures, and workflow efficiencies).
- Manage legal team email aliases and project requests/inquiries – both external and internal. Generate responses as appropriate; escalate matters to appropriate parties as necessary.
- Help manage timeframes and priorities for internal and external requests.
- Act as a general point of contact and provide administrative support for Smartsheet’s internal legal counsel.
- Manage and coordinate programs
- Develop and manage ongoing execution of programs and processes necessary to manage legal operations.
- Assist in deriving business requirements as they relate to the legal team.
- Develop policies and procedures for projects and recurring tasks to maximize team efficiency.
- Facilitate business process review meetings with stakeholders and subject matter experts and refine those processes to improve efficiency.
- Assess and report on legal operations
- Develop effective metrics and key performance indicators to help the team track, measure and improve performance.
- Develop and maintain dashboards and other resources for tracking and presenting metrics.
- Assist with special projects as requested.
- Maintain and administer contracts, policies, and filings
- Act as primary administrator for Smartsheet’s contract repositories.
- Manage policy repository and revision schedule.
- Assist in facilitating the execution of legal agreements, preparing and routing documents for signature, and filing completed agreements.
- Assist in preparation, organization, tracking, and filing corporate legal documents.
- 5+ years of relevant experience OR demonstrated ability to carry out key functions of the role (candidate to explain why experience is not necessary to excel in the role)
- 2+ years of experience in legal operations or as a paralegal or legal assistant (may substitute work in a compliance department if relevant experience) OR demonstrated ability to carry out key functions of the role (candidate to explain why experience is not necessary to excel in the role)
- Proactive self-starter; prepared to contribute and execute on ideas and to problem-solve with or without detailed instructions.
- Excellent organizational and oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to comfortably work both independently and collaboratively with people at all levels and functions throughout the company.
- Ability to track and manage numerous parallel activities, and to think critically and independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Effective leader and motivator.
- Privacy experience or documented interest (e.g., privacy certification such as CIPP or CIPM or courses in privacy/security)
- Corporate compliance experience
- Experience with cloud computing or big data
In 2005, Smartsheet was founded on the idea that teams and millions of people worldwide deserve a better way to deliver their very best work. Today, the company delivers a leading cloud-based platform for work execution, empowering organizations to plan, capture, track, automate, and report on work at scale, resulting in more efficient processes and better business outcomes. Smartsheet went public on the New York Stock Exchange in April 2018 and currently enables collaboration, better decision making, and accelerated innovation for over 76,000 domain-based customers in 190 countries, including 96 of the Fortune 100.
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Smartsheet are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.