Managing Counsel at OpenMarket
We’ve got a pretty good thing going on here at OpenMarket. We’re leaders of a mobile industry that's transforming the way customer obsessed businesses communicate with their customers. Join our team: we're friendly, caring, weirdly tenacious, and fun.
The world’s biggest brands seek us out because we love finding ways to help them make their customers’ lives easier. It’s this obsession with customer experience that helps us develop software, technology and processes that competitors all over the world desire.
We’re seeking enthusiastic, collaborative and resourceful people from a range of backgrounds who know how to get things done. Success comes from our culture, diversity and dynamic global team, so we value people who are authentic, take ownership, and deliver together. Does this sound like you?
About the Role
This position will provide leadership and legal support across OpenMarket—chiefly supporting Global Sales, Marketing, Product—by negotiating strategic enterprise agreements with both customers and suppliers, reviewing GDPR-related compliance documents, and supporting a range of commercial transactions in North America, while also handling contract escalations that may arise out of UK, EMEA, and APAC. This is partially a customer facing role, and you will need to think on your feet to bring about swift resolution of contractual matters, engaging in a collaborative manner with global brands and cross-functionally with senior leaders throughout OpenMarket.
What You'll Be Doing
• Leading the Legal function of OpenMarket, reporting to a senior legal team member within Amdocs (OpenMarket’s global parent company) and dual reporting directly to the CEO of OpenMarket.
• Directly manage an international team of Paralegals and Attorneys.
• Reviewing, drafting, and negotiating complex commercial contracts for the sale of OpenMarket’s SMS/MMS/RCS and other messaging solutions, with an ever-present goal to reduce friction for our customers in the contracting stage while also appropriately mitigating OpenMarket’s risk.
• Reviewing, drafting, and negotiating inbound and outbound Licenses, Professional Services Agreements, Statements of Work, Marketing Agreements, Data Processing Agreements, and Nondisclosure Agreements with customers, vendors, and third parties.
• Providing legal counsel to the business on US-based and global data privacy issues, with an emphasis on regulatory compliance as the company expands and innovates on its data analytics capabilities.
• Partnering with Information Security to analyze security-related contract requirements to ensure OpenMarket’s compliance with relevant laws, regulations, and internal corporate policies and to secure appropriate security safeguards from third parties.
• Working in a coordinated fashion with the other OpenMarket Legal team members to lead all aspects of contract management policies, document retention systems, and procedures for OpenMarket Legal.
What to Bring
• Strong technology transactions background with specific experience supporting a global company or companies, and/or its sales function, with commercial and technology transactional legal needs.
• Familiarity with IT infrastructure, outsourcing, telecommunications, and cloud computing (SaaS or PaaS) services.
• A strong working knowledge of GDPR and global privacy laws and regulations, as well as relevant experience relating to GDPR compliance.
• An ambition to build frictionless and productive internal client relationships.
• Management experience and a passion for authentic leadership of a team.
• Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
• Motivation to take ownership of projects and see them to completion. • An acute attention to detail, highly developed organizational skills, and excellent follow-through.
Nice to Have
• Background in M&A transactions.
• Bar Admission in Washington state.
• 10-15 years of practice experience
You'll Be a Great Fit If
• You like being a part of a lean team where you can grow, adapt, and expand your skill set to meet unique business needs.
• You desire to provide premium, CX-focused legal support to support OpenMarket’s partnership with top global brands.
• You enjoy finding solutions to interesting problems and determining how things work!
• You are comfortable with a workload that is a mix of proactive and reactive tasks.
• You welcome having autonomy to take care of complex tasks.
• You like wearing your “business hat” as well as relying on your expertise as a lawyer.
• You are passionate about using your experience and expertise to inspire a team!
OpenMarket embraces diversity and is an equal opportunity (EEO) employer. Employment in this position may be contingent upon successful completion of a criminal and/or credit background investigation.