Vice President, Legal
HELP US MAKE HISTORY. Millions trust Leafly to help them find unbiased information about nearby strains and dispensaries, discover new cannabis brands and products, and to stay up-to-date on the latest cannabis information. Leafly started as an excel spreadsheet and has since grown to become the world’s largest cannabis information resource. We’re expanding rapidly, and we’re looking for smart, forward-thinking leaders to help us achieve our goal of shaping the global cannabis landscape.
A career at Leafly combines the excitement of a start-up, the social purpose of a non-profit, and the growth opportunities of a major corporation. Leafly salaries and benefit packages are very competitive, the office perks are excellent, and we promise that you’ll never be bored. If you have what it takes, you’ll be joining a global network of innovative, passionate individuals on a revolutionary mission to change the world for the better.
We are currently seeking a Vice President, Legal to work at our headquarters in Seattle, WA.
What You Will Be Doing:
Reporting to the CEO with a dotted line reporting to Leafly’s parent company’s General Counsel, we are seeking a VP, Legal to support and manage Leafly’s legal operations. Responsible for identifying and analyzing legal issues, drafting key documents, presenting clear recommendations to business stakeholders, and assuring legal compliance.
The ideal candidate is an experienced attorney who is comfortable navigating in an environment of change and ambiguity. The ability to toggle seamlessly between strategic thinking, scrupulous attention to detail and impeccable communication skills will make the ideal candidate.
- Drafting and negotiating transactional documents, including technology/software transactions, promotional and sponsorship agreements, licensing agreements, and vendor agreements
- Counseling and advising business executives and others on a wide variety of complex and developing legal and business matters including regulatory compliance, digital media, marketing and promotions, and commercial transactions
- Meeting with senior executive and product group clients on a regular basis to conduct legal reviews of business and product development activities
- Manage and supervise any litigation, judging the merits of court cases filed against or on behalf of the company, working with the appropriate executives to define a strategic defense and negotiating/approving settlements of disputes where warranted)
- Manage Leafly’s Government Affairs efforts domestically and internationally, and track laws and regulations that might affect the company’s business
- Oversee outside counsel
- Minimum of 7+ years of professional experience as an attorney in a law firm or in-house environment
- JD in good standing from accredited law school
- Admitted to the bar in any US jurisdiction
- Exposure to or familiarity with technology transactions, commercial transactions, regulatory law, consumer law.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- High degree of professionalism and integrity with the ability to provide candid advice and handle confidential information appropriately
- Strategic thinking skills evidenced by the ability to develop strategies that reduce potential areas of legal risk while furthering business objectives.
- Comfortable with change and ambiguity and working in an individual contributor role.
- Passion for innovation, learning and continuous improvement
- Sense of humor, humility, perspective
*Have you experienced the Leafly app? We are actively seeking individuals that understand our product and have a zest for learning more. Download on iOS and Android today and subscribe to our newsletter for updates.
NOTE: Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. Please accept our utmost appreciation for your interest. Leafly is committed to maintaining a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status will receive consideration for employment. If you have any accessibility requirements or concerns regarding the hiring process or employment with us, please notify us so we can provide suitable accommodation.
Please, no phone calls/no recruiting agencies.
The job description is representative of typical duties and responsibilities for the position and is not all-inclusive. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned in accordance with business needs. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. A background check will be conducted after a conditional offer of employment is extended.
Read Full Job Description