Public Relations Manager
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard.
There is an incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more. It’s already the biggest crowdfunding campaign in history, and now that it’s available at retail, the fun is really starting.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
Why We Need You
The Glowforge community was launched on the back of glowing press, appearing everywhere from the New York Times to Wired. Now we’ve delivered the magic, and our community excited, engaged, and enthusiastic. Our product is beloved, and it’s our job to bring more and more passionate people into our community of creators every day.
How will we do this? Through you. Your brilliant story concepts, poignant pitches, and astute insight about reporters’ needs and opportunities, will keep Glowforge in the public mind. We need you to support our growth and fulfill our goal of bringing creativity to the home of millions of people.
Here’s What You’ll Be Doing
We think you have the best job in town, because first and foremost - you get to tell our customers’ stories. From Henry who uses his Glowforge to teach his medical students new heart surgery techniques, to Ryan who started his own jewelry business, to Marj who picked up her Glowforge as a new retirement hobby - there’s thousands of unique and compelling stories to tell.
Our product is surprising, magical, delightful, and unique. Our customers have some of the most fascinating stories in the world. Communicating those stories through articles, reviews, podcasts, and more? All in a day’s work.
You’ll be focused on:
- Developing our public relations strategy - for the short and long term
- Diving in with the product and leadership teams to understand the roadmap and new partnerships and products
- Working with our CEO on speaking and thought leadership opportunities
- Continuing to build on your existing relationships with reporters, podcasters, bloggers, and other thought leaders
- Telling the Glowforge story to lifestyle, business, and tech outlets
- Telling our customer’s stories through the publications that cater to the thousands of different interests our customers have
You Need These Qualifications
- You have a four-year degree or equivalent experience.
- You have at least five years of public or media relations - in house, agency, or both.
- You’ve got a long-list of top-tier tech, business, and consumer reporters who trust you when you reach out to them with a story.
- You’re an exceptional writer and storyteller.
- You measure PR success by the numbers - you’re always looking to quantify the impact of your placements (reach, click through, organic rankings, and more).
- You are deeply, personally excited about what we’re creating at Glowforge.
It Would Be Nice If...
- You have startup experience
- You’ve worked on consumer hardware products before
- You have journalistic experience yourself
- You love to learn about technology
Send us a resume or Linkedin link. And please, send us a cover letter that tells us what you’re excited about doing with us!
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.
Read Full Job Description