NOC Shift Lead at OfferUp
OfferUp is dedicated to building the simplest and most trustworthy way for people to buy and sell in their communities. Every year, millions of people use OfferUp to buy and sell locally, resulting in billions of dollars of local commerce. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., our iOS and Android app has been in the top five most popular shopping apps lists for more than three years. Join us as we build the marketplace of the future and reinvent local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust.
At a Glance
- 85M+ Downloads
- Geekwire App of Year
- 15+ percent of adults in key markets like Los Angeles, Seattle, Miami and Las Vegas use OfferUp every month
About the role:
We are looking for an experienced Shift Lead to join our newly formed NOC team. In this role you will be a key contributor in building the foundations and processes for our 24x7 Operations Center. Critical tasks include preventing and/or mitigating customer impact by monitoring, identifying, triaging and resolving issues. As a team member, you will work with other engineering teams on escalations to ensure our services remain available, secure, and performing at world class levels. You’ll participate in continuous improvement initiatives by creating, updating and evolving alerts, as well as runbooks and operational processes.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Oversee NOC Engineers and provide tier 2 support for OfferUp’s critical services utilizing alerting and proactive monitoring
- Mentor NOC staff, collaborate with engineering teams; coordinate incident response when service impacts occur
- Improve customer experience by participating in post mortems as well as contributing to service monitoring and alerting enhancements
- Maintain complete awareness of the health of OfferUp’s critical services, identifying potential issues, prioritizing workload with the NOC team and ensure escalations occur in a timely manner
- The NOC is 24x7, team members are required to work shifts that include nights, weekends and holidays
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- A proven track record - At least 7 years success with highly-scaled internet/ mobile application environments, including 2 years working in a Security Operations Center (SOC) or Network Operations Center (NOC)
- Hunger to continue learning new technologies - You have UNIX/Linux system administration experience and will use industry leading tools for site, infrastructure and application monitoring (like AWS Cloudwatch, Datadog, Grafana, New Relic)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills - You can effectively communicate problem statements, technical impacts and repair activity to a broad audience
- Customer obsessed with intense technical curiosity - You are skilled at breaking down complex technical issues. You enjoy using available tools and data to not only fix issues, for our customers but prevent them from happening again
- Bachelors in Information Systems, or equivalent experience
Helpful, but not required:
- ITIL Foundations a plus
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/tagged/culture
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.