Blue Nile is the largest online retailer of certified diamonds, engagement rings and fine jewelry. Our standards are amongst the highest of all jewelers. We provide a superior customer experience, extraordinary value and industry leading product quality and style. We obsess about our customers and are passionate about providing each customer with an amazing experience.
We embrace a culture of adaptability. Our team is nimble, innovative and resourceful and makes an impact on both the business and each individual customer’s personal experience. We value hard-work, flexibility and curiosity and collaborate to creatively solve problems, constantly improve and implement meaningful changes. Our team celebrates achievements and is inspired by success.
Blue Nile is looking for a passionate and talented Systems Engineer II who will join our Web operations team and be responsible for administration and deployment of large-scale Linux systems within a complex and redundant architecture including web servers, application servers, monitoring tools and Oracle database systems.
- Utilize company-sponsored cell phone and participate in 24x7 on-call responsibilities in support of the Blue Nile computing infrastructure (one week on-call, 3 weeks off-call)
- Typical duties include troubleshooting, code releases, hardware configuration, software implementation, administration, and documentation
- Create and maintain complex technical documentation and architectural diagrams
- Active participation in group planning and architecture meetings
- Effective communication with employees and vendors
- Must have experience at all levels of system administration and possess demonstrated ability to effectively troubleshoot and solve hardware, operating system and application problems.
- College degree preferred
- 5+ years experience in a Linux/Windows IT environment, supporting large scale production and mission-critical servers
- Experience in system administration within secure high availability Linux environments
- Well-versed in data center operations, processes, and practices
- Internet e-commerce experience highly desirable
- Strong working knowledge of TCP/IP and Linux/Windows/Cisco networking, HP hardware configuration, management, and troubleshooting, system monitoring tools, Storage Area Networking (SANs), backup and recovery systems
- Knowledge and experience with standard Internet applications, including WWW,DNS, SMTP, FTP, SSH, etc.
- Knowledge of bandwidth issues, general Internet technologies, routers, Ethernet switches a plus
- Linux experience preferred
- Basic Oracle DBA experience also a plus