Systems Administrator at PayScale
Paying the right way, getting paid what you’re worth — it’s complicated, and it matters. Compensation used to be a dark art. Not anymore. PayScale helps employers and their employees understand the right pay for every position and effectively communicate about compensation.
PayScale pioneered the use of crowd-sourced compensation data and unique matching algorithms to power the world’s most advanced compensation platform and continues to be the compensation market leader, featured in G2 Crowd's 100 Best Software Companies for 2018, based on user reviews.
We foster a working environment that generates new ideas, promotes ownership and experimentation, and encourages highly motivated individuals to be truly creative. Are you forward-thinking, tenacious, and inventive? If so, PayScale may be the perfect place for you to grow your career!Job Description
What We Do: The Systems Administration Team focuses on PayScale’s systems and integrations, supporting our engineering teams, and our on-prem and cloud infrastructure.
What You Do: As a PayScale Systems Administrator, your job is quite simple: make all things PayScale IT awesome. This role has the freedom to practice your craft among some very sharp and motivated people. Your goal, if you choose to accept it, is to keep PayScale team members working through literal and figurative technical fires. You'll be part of a team supporting all the IT hardware and software including servers, email, solving issues with VPN, Internet, Windows and more. The position will work on building and supporting a hybrid cloud-based infrastructure, build creative IT solutions to new business challenges, and build platforms to run and evangelize PayScale’s cool and useful products.
Day-in-the-Life: As a Systems Administrator, a typical day may include the following…
First Year in Role:
- Month 3: Partnering with your teammates, you have supported our quarterly patching processes, applied network security policies, and configured SSO for internal and external systems.
- Month 6: At this point, you own 2 systems within our infrastructure and are able to handle most issues that arise.
- Month 12: You are fully integrated into the PayScale systems administrator team and are an authority on our infrastructure. You are mentoring others, and proposing innovative solutions.
- Network and system infrastructure monitoring, tuning and log analysis
- System updates, upgrades, backups, and recovery processes
- Responsible for ISP, network and server infrastructure deployment and maintenance.
- Investigate new technologies and research viability within PayScale’s infrastructure.
- Lead AWS and Azure technologies used for PayScale’s solutions.
- 2-5+ years of progressive technical experience in a startup setting
- Strong network troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Syslog/SNMP configuration, maintenance and security logging.
- Demonstrable experience documenting IT processes and procedures and project management
- Solid grasp of Active Directory, DHCP, TCP/IP and DNS
- Deep understanding of Microsoft Windows 10, Server 2012/2016/2019, Office365, SQL 2014, IIS
- Linux administration, Redhat, Centos, Ubuntu
- Experience with the following languages is preferred but not required. Python PowerShell, Batch, Bash
- SSO knowledge/experience
- Ability to creatively solve highly technical issues and communicate changes to non-technical staff.
- Strong skills in Windows Server, Linux and SIEM.
- Experience with cloud providers (AWS, Azure) and cloud native solutions.
- Strong experience with SSO, SFTP, and systems integration
- SIEM, and DLP solutions
- PowerShell, and Python
- Windows operating systems, MacOs, and Linux
- SSHD, HTTPS, SFTP, openssl, and other secure TCP transmission protocols.
Meet Your Manager: John Lynch has over 14 years of professional information technology and security experience. John’s favorite thing about PayScale is its empathetic environment that helps drive the delivery of a meaningful product which promotes equality. John is a proponent of collaborative decision making, an opponent of too many meetings, and a manager who supports your personal and professional growth above all else.
- Speak with one of our friendly recruiters.
- Speak with the hiring manager, John.
- Work on a short, take-home security question.
- Participate in a virtual hiring loop.
Benefits & Perks – The Highlights:
- Flexible Paid Time Off policy
- 10 paid holidays
- Amazing Medical/Vision/Dental/Prescription coverage: 100% company-paid premiums for employees; 50% for eligible partners and dependents
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) options for pre-tax employee allocations towards: Medical, Dependent Care, Parking, and Transit
- Long Term Disability, Short Term Disability, and Company-paid Life Insurance
- Competitive Maternity and Paternity Leave, and onsite Mother’s Room
- 401k which vests immediately, complete with company match
- Onsite bike storage, lockers, showers, and clothes dryer
- Ergo friendly chairs and sitting-standing desks
- Company-hosted happy hours every Friday afternoon
- Fido Fridays (our canine colleagues join us every Friday. WOOF!)
Equal Opportunity Employer: PayScale provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. PayScale complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.