Manager - Commerce Risk Underwriting at Expedia Group
The Commerce Risk Underwriting Manager will play a meaningful role in providing payments solutions for the travel market. Expedia Group is responsible for enabling $90 Billion of customer and supplier payment services for a portfolio of global online travel brands under Expedia Group. To date our transactional capabilities are clearly leading the travel industry. And while our technology and products have initially been built to power some of the industry’s leading brands, their ambitious strengths represent a compelling opportunity to broaden Expedia Group’s reach in the ecosystem of travel providers. Join a nimble and mighty team at the forefront of travel plus payments technology development and experience this transformational journey.
This position will be responsible for the risk underwriting approach and operational functions of our commercial payments business throughout the customer lifecycle – sales & contracting, onboarding and sub merchant due diligence, ongoing operations and offboarding. This position will coordinate the risk underwriting functions across our Commerce Teams, our supporting Expedia Group teams and with our partners.
As a key member of the eCommerce Platform (eCP) Commercial Products group, your role will be critical to building, improving and scaling payments related operations functions to power the $2T travel industry. You will work collaboratively across Sales, Product, Technology, Operations, Risk/Fraud, Tax, Legal, Controllership and Expedia Group Channel Partners to ensure compliant eCommerce capability readiness powered by global payment solution providers. This role will report to the Director of Commerce Business Operations & Compliance for the eCP Commercial Products group.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Develop our Risk Underwriting approach and framework, and implement and manage our Risk Underwriting operations functions across the full customer lifecycle
- Business development, sales and contracting
- Customer Onboarding & Due Diligence
- Ongoing Operations / Processing
- Customer Offboarding
Implement a Risk Underwriting framework and operational function that effectively manages our payment processing risk exposure, provides early warning of potential high risk situations and rapidly addresses actual risk exposure with effective risk mitigation approaches or solutions
- Act as the Commerce Risk manager
Responsible for the underwriting risk assessment (review, approval, signoff) for each sub merchant we review or onboard and for our Commerce business as a whole
On a global basis, monitor Risk Underwriting and Sub Merchant Due Diligence best practices and support tools / approaches via peer groups, industry associations, periodicals and partner SME’s – modify and adjust our Risk Underwriting approach accordingly
- Develop our Risk Underwriting approach, framework and operational processes supporting sub merchant business eligibility risk, reputational risk (e.g., legal, fair trade practices, privacy, etc.), financial risk and regulatory risk.
Coordinate the risk assessment and controls across our business teams (e.g., Commerce Sales, Commerce Partner Management, Compliance Operations, Onboarding & Business Operations, Customer Support, Finance, Legal, etc.). Ensure review and alignment of our approach and operational processes with our Controllership & Legal functions.
- Tailor our Risk Underwriting approach, processes, third party support partners and tools to each global jurisdiction where we operate and to the risk checks relevant to each stage of the customer lifecycle
- Differentiate and define our risk approach and processes for onboarding our solution / enablement partners and sub merchant entities versus the risk approach implemented for ongoing payment transaction processing (e.g., defined triggering events or periodic reviews)
- At any point, be able to articulate our risk exposure for any specific sub merchant, and for our Commerce business portfolio as a whole
- Ensure we implement the performance indicators, metrics, reporting and document retention to effectively ensure we are fully compliant at all times relative to our Risk Underwriting function
- Coordinate with our Controllership function to provide audit, compliance support and business risk assessment relative to our Risk Underwriting approach and operational execution
WHO YOU ARE
- Proven track record with Risk Underwriting and in implementing business oriented operational processes to manage risk exposure to our Commerce business, both at the merchant level and at the overall portfolio level
- Significant experience with Risk Underwriting specifically in the payments industry
- Significant and specific experience operationalizing and scaling the following aspects of Risk Underwriting – business identification and eligibility risk, reputational risk, financial risk and compliance / regulatory risk
- Ensure we execute on our Risk Underwriting framework and approach with operational processes in a timely, accurate, controlled, documented and auditable fashion
- Experience operationalizing these functions on a global / multi-jurisdictional basis is highly preferred
- Experience with 3rd party vendors, services and / or toolsets to operationally perform these functions is highly preferred
- Significant experience with finance, accounting, economics, auditing and risk management principles, and demonstrated analytical and complex problem solving skills in these areas
- Proven experience in building, staffing, training and scaling Risk Underwriting operations teams
- Experience with building in house and with full or partial outsourcing
- Demonstrated team leadership & coaching skills; strong cross functional alignment and teaming skills
- Payments Industry and / or Travel Industry experience is a plus
You will fit this role if you have:
- Passion for Results: Maintain high standards for the individual, team and organizational accomplishment. Tenaciously work to meet or exceed challenging goals. Derive satisfaction from goal achievement and continuous improvement.
- Communication and Influence Skills: Clearly and succinctly convey information and ideas to individuals and groups; communicate in a focused and compelling way that draws and holds others’ attention. Create and execute influencing strategies that persuade key partners to take action towards advancing shared interests and business goals. Balance results with relationship.
- Analytical Skills: Secure and compare information from multiple sources to identify core issues. Commit to an action-plan after weighing alternative solutions against decision criteria. Enthusiastically and quickly make sense of complex issues. Respond effectively to complex and ambiguous situations.
- Eye for Business: Demonstrate a keen understanding of basic business operations and the organizational levers (systems, processes, departments and functions) that drive profitable growth. Draw from personal experience to quickly evaluate business plans and processes to identify data or recommendations that need further investigation.
- Decision Process: Use a factual approach to decision-making by systematically collecting valid and reliable data. Rely on the data rather than on emotions. Have the backbone to disagree and commit to the decisions towards better business outcomes.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Economics, or equivalent required; MBA from a premier program preferred
- Relevant compliance, security, payments or fraud certifications preferred
- Location: Seattle, WA USA
WHY JOIN US
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.