Data Scientist II (Seattle)
Launched in 2000 in San Francisco, Hotwire is one of the earliest innovators in the online travel arena. Just a few years later in 2003 we joined the Expedia Group family of brands that includes Hotels.com, HomeAway, Travelocity and more.
Our roots are in California, but we also have offices in Seattle along with an important and fast-growing product and technology presence in Gurgaon, India. Hotwire has the energy and pace of a startup, plus the stability and backing of the incredible Expedia family of companies. Hotwire’s culture centers around delivering value to customers and supply partners by being passionate about building great products with the latest and greatest technologies available. We pride ourselves on our organizational transparency, a bias for action and a customer centric approach to everything we do.
Our Data Science team is a strategic group responsible for identifying and driving significant revenue growth across all Hotwire products. This team and position offer an unparalleled opportunity to get exposure to multiple areas of the business and have significant impact. The team innovates on sorting, pricing and marketing analytics for different Hotwire products such as Hotel and Car.
We work closely with other functions – marketing, product development, finance, business intelligence, and customer operations – with the express goal of using advanced analytics to inform decision-making and drive performance. As a Data Scientist, you will be responsible for maximizing Hotwire’s profitability through pricing and sort optimization, designing and executing monetization strategies for Hotel and Car product.
Do you want to make an impact? Would you like to see your work affect people's travel choices in real time? Are you passionate and dedicated to the mission?
- You own pricing and sort from end-to-end, including all aspects of analytics, test design and execution.
- You develop consumer and pricing insights from sophisticated data-driven analysis that result in specific action plans.
- You deploy, test, and manage pricing and sorting models.
- You work closely with Product Managers and Engineers to design and execute site-wide monetization initiatives.
- You provide management with market and/or trend information, needed to make strategic decisions.
- You lead the development and evolution of analytical models establishing objectives, key metrics, and test plans.
- You manage cross-functional ad hoc research requests.
- Master’s degree with 2-5 years of experience in a quantitative discipline (Computer Science, Machine Learning, Operations Research, Applied Mathematics, Industrial Engineering, Statistics), Phd degree preferred.
- Professional experience in e-commerce, with focus on supply/demand dynamics, price elasticity, customer’s behavior, and competitive strategies is a plus.
- Prior analytics and data mining experience, focusing on segmentation strategies and predictive modeling.
- Proven programming skills in Python with 1+ years hands-on coding experience.
- Familiarity with Spark and Hadoop strongly desired.
- Strong business sense and logical skills to balance data-driven decisions with intuition.
- Ability to access, analyze, and draw insight from multi-terabyte data-sets.
- Experience in statistical modeling (response models and predictive models a plus).
- Desire and capacity to learn, develop, and lead.
- Ability to understand complex systems.
Why Join Us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.