Data Scientist at Hiya, Inc.
We believe that mobile voice calls should be secure, engaging, and protected from fraud and robocalls. We believe the phone app is the most outdated app on your smartphone, and that the mobile network - as the largest communications network of any kind - urgently needs a trust and identity layer. You should know who's calling you and why! You should get the calls that are relevant to you (at that time) and none of the ones that aren't. Hiya is building the modern layer for the voice experience. We already serve over 120M users worldwide directly through our apps and in partnership with smartphone makers like Samsung and mobile carriers like AT&T. Are you ready to join our modeling team and help us serve 1B users?
We are hiring a Data Scientist for our predictive modeling team. You'll create statistical and machine learning models that use call traffic and network information to find bad actors. You'll be on a team that includes predictive modelers, data analysts, and technical product managers.
As a Data Scientist at Hiya you'll:
- Be super curious and enjoy working on complex analytical problems
- Build models to identify calls from bad actors in real-time among the 15B calls/month that go through our network
- Develop new spam and fraud detection systems using machine learning and statistical methods
- Work closely with engineers to ensure that relevant data is accessible in the platform for models to run in realtime
- Expand on and maintain a set of tools that can be shared with and used by a team of data scientists
- Probe into data to understand anomalous behavior we and our customers are seeing in the phone networks
- Work with modeling tools such as R, Matlab, Python
As a senior member of the team you'll:
- Have a strong product sense to focus on solutions that we can apply to quickly help Hiya, our customers, and our users
- Act as a consultant to senior management on issues related to modeling, data, and prediction
- Be a key contributor to strategic and tactical roadmap planning and product definition
- Share responsibility for protecting our users privacy by developing and following strict data policies
- Develop and work with a set of data management tools that increase the efficiency of model development
You don't have to check all the boxes, but we believe these are important requirements for this role:
- You have research or professional experience developing predictive models
- Experience developing statistical and machine learning methods
- You have a PhD, or MS w/ 5+ years industry experience, in mathematics, statistics, physics, computer science, engineering or another similar analytical subject area
- Experience with quantitative analysis environments such as R, Python, or Matlab. Experience with an ML library such as Keras, Tensorflow, or PyTorch is a plus
- Experience working with large data sets in a cloud environment
- Experience with standard methodologies for doing research in a product development organization; including creating shared tool environments, automation, and code re-use
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills
- You are a standout colleague!
You will be an important member of our team to help us protect 120+ million users and make the phone experience better for everyone.
Hiya is committed to diversity and inclusion, and we desire to build a team with a variety of perspectives, identity, and professional experiences. It's our intention to evaluate each candidate exclusively on the merits of their skills, competencies, and contribution to the organization.
This position is based in Seattle.