Engineering Manager - AI/ML at Expedia Group
Are you passionate about leading an engineering team that maximizes software engineering, ML and data to build a platform for crafting intelligent Virtual Agents that is helping to drive the future of a multi-billion dollar business?
As an Engineering Manager, within the Conversation Platform Technology team, you will provide leadership and mentorship to a team dedicated to driving technology innovation. You will be enabling groups across the company to create outstanding Virtual Agent experiences worldwide in Expedia Group apps, web sites, social channels, and voice channels! We support hundreds of millions of conversations a year across a global brand portfolio and partnership programs. Our team is building out the platform's intelligence services that power Expedia Group's Virtual Agents to address customer needs in an optimal manner without needing human intervention.
In this role, with your experience along with mentorship and inspiring others, you and your team will build frameworks, services, data sets, and models that drive self-service and customer happiness up, and customer effort down at Expedia, enabling millions of travelers to enjoy their flawless trip!
Who you are:
- 5+ years software development experience in an enterprise level engineering environment
- 3+ years ML/ data science experience with projects including natural language understanding and reinforcement
- Experienced in leadership and team building
- Solid understanding of Python and Java;
- Experience with common data science related packages and ML frameworks
- Expertise in agile software development methodologies and using them efficiently within teams
- Good communication and organizational skills - able to translate between technical and business group, bring forward a vision or opinion
- Ability to lead multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, prioritize decisions and tasks and work in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Understanding of trade-offs of architectural patterns and comfort in recommending approaches and associated technology choices
What you will do:
- Guide and coach the team to seamlessly deliver on lofty goals with speed and quality
- Promote development of maintainable and thoroughly tested code
- Ensure the team is following state of the art engineering methodologies
- Provide ongoing, real-time feedback to engineers and scientists on your team to promote their growth; Partner with others to collect feedback and lead team progress toward goals
- Communicate clearly to both partners and engineers to remove ambiguity from larger projects; Provide high level engineering estimates and resource allocation
- Collaborate in defining solutions that use data insights as well as your technical perspective in furthering the product and business
- Cross organizational boundaries (brands, divisions) to collaborate with other technology teams to tackle enterprise-wide problems
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground, so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a desire to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, VRBO®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.