Principal Software Development Engineer (Tax and Data)
Are you a master engineer ready for the opportunity to build an ecommerce platform with the potential to transform an entire company? Do you thrive in a high-energy atmosphere where you can lead the evaluation of new technology with a relentless focus on automation and continuous delivery? Then come join us and build the most expansive and versatile transaction platform in travel!
We are looking for a Principal Software Development Engineer to build our next-generation tax system at Expedia Group. This highly scalable and resilient system will calculate the taxes applicable to billions of potential travel bookings per day. It needs the flexibility to handle the broad, constantly changing range of tax laws and rules applicable in thousands of jurisdictions around the world, while providing robust reporting and audit trails. These new capabilities will have a material impact on Expedia's financial performance. Our focus is on Revolutionizing Travel by using technology to manage transactions at a massive scale along with deep data analysis. You will be instrumental in the performance of our team to ensure that we meet the global needs of our business. Bring your passion for software performance and data, and be part of our success.
What you’ll do
- Lead the design and implementation of transactional microservices and real-time data processing at scale
- Explore new technologies and approaches, build proofs-of-concept, and collaborate on v1 implementations
- Review pull requests, and lead by example on code refactoring for readability, extensibility, and testability
- Guide engineering teams in adoption of cloud & serverless technologies, advise on good design practices, and pursue opportunities to simplify and scale
- Contribute to enterprise architecture, ensuring your designs lead to a scalable, flexible enterprise platform
- Embrace change, always open to replacing what you built yesterday with something better today
- Build a cloud-native transactional tax platform designed to become the foundation for the entire travel industry
Who you are
- An outspoken technology leader, with an equally strong ability to listen and learn
- Sublimely skilled coder (familiarity with Java stack a plus)
- Cloud-native thinker (helpful experience: AWS ECS, Lambda, DynamoDB, Aurora, EMR)
- Comfortable with microservices or data processing pipelines (Docker, Kafka, Kinesis, Spark, OpenAPI)
- Successful history of designing and delivering mission-critical, high-volume transactional processing systems
- Mastery of continuous delivery and automated deployments (Jenkins, AWS CloudFormation, Terraform, etc.)
- 10+ years of software experience, with a bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related discipline
Why join us
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground, so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you. Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
*LI-MS1Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.