Software Development Engineer I
CarRentals is a small but rapidly growing company within the Expedia Group portfolio and the premier car rental booking company on the web. CarRentals powers three different brands across multiple points of sale on a single common platform, bringing suppliers and customers together to find the right car and the best price. CarRentals offers a phenomenal opportunity to work in a startup-like environment backed by the resources, benefits, and network of a large, multi-national online e-commerce company.
As a Software Development Engineer on the Core Data Engineering team, you will build data solutions related to the heart of our car rental system, including data processing for searches, booking transactions, and connections to a vast array of suppliers for inventory. You will be crafting and implementing data pipelines, ETLs, data warehouses, and data tools for the organization. This role is a critical team member in transforming the existing data systems into an extensible and optimized data platform.
This role will require you to have shown data platform expertise, knowledge of microservice architecture, AWS services, and operational standards to maintain a 24/7 e-commerce platform. You will work in collaboration with partners including Product Managers, Analytics, and Marketing to help design, develop, and deliver projects.
- Design and implement: data pipeline, ETL, data model, data warehouse
- Gather and process raw data at scale (including writing scripts, calling APIs, write SQL queries).
- Building data models.
- Implementing Machine Learning platforms.
- Work closely with our engineering team to integrate with micro services stack.
- Process structured and unstructured data into a form suitable for analysis.
- Designing/implementing data solutions with AWS technologies, Spark, Snowflake, Qubole, Tableau.
- Communicate effectively up and down the organization
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Solid coding skills - Experience with Python or Java highly desirable.
- Solid communication skills in written and verbal form.
- Understanding of Software Development Lifecycle and methodologies.
- Must be a voracious learner, especially in the areas of technology, service design patterns and system architecture.
- Understanding of Quality and Testing principles.
- Proficient on AWS, Cloud computing and SQL is desired.
Education and Work Experience:
- MS/BS degree in Computer Science, related technical field, or equivalent work experience.
- 1+ year software development experience is a plus.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.