Sr. Software Engineer
Are you passionate about Big data and the insights it provides? Do you love building creative, high-scale distributed systems using a diverse set of state-of-the-art technologies? If you have an ambitious spirit, are deeply technical and analytical, and long for chance to create solutions to problems that directly impact the company's bottom-line, we want to talk to you! We are searching for a Sr. Software Development Engineer who will drive key initiatives from conception all the way through requirements definition, analysis, technical specifications, development and delivery. This is a highly visible role that requires both business insight for working with senior management and technical depth for removing development road blocks.
Expedia Enterprise Risk & Security (ERS) group is focused on a single mission to protect Expedia Group from financial loss and brand damage. We work on key risk problems associated with merchant and supplier fraud, account takeover, and more. Joining our group provides you an unrivaled challenge and the opportunity to use the newest technology to protect our business, our customers and our business partners, empowering millions of travelers to enjoy their perfect trip. In this role, you will be a leader, influencer, and contributor across our entire technology team. You will set the technical direction for your team, provide career mentorship to the people you lead and collaborate with various business partners.
What you'll do
- Lead the end-to-end product lifecycle: design, development, testing, deployment, and providing operational excellence and support
- Collaborate with business and technical teams to solve complex software problems
- Advocate for Industry standards and in development methodologies, techniques, and technologies. Provide architecture definition and product vision
- Translate business requirements into technical requirements, provide effort estimates, understand scheduling, cost constraints, and impact to other teams
- Anticipate and prevent problems and roadblocks, before they occur, and present technical issues and their impact to leadership
- Review pull requests, and lead by example on code refactoring for readability, extensibility, and testability
- Mentor and grow junior team members
Who you are
- You have proven experience with Big Data technologies (Hadoop, HDFS, Map-Reduce, Hive, Spark, Kafka etc.)
- Prior experience in architecting complex, highly distributed, multi-sourced data pipelines and stream processing solutions (Hadoop, HDFS, Map-Reduce, Hive, Spark, Kafka etc.)
- Data Warehousing experience with one of Redshift, Snowflake, Teradata etc.
- You built applications with AWS technologies – S3, EC2, EMR etc.
- You tuned and optimized the performance of business-critical queries and taking care of ETL job related issues
- Working understanding of relational databases including SQL and NoSql
- At least 5-8 years of Software Development work experience using OO languages with a bachelor’s or master’s degree in CS or equivalent
Why join us
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.