Staff Data Engineer at ServiceNow
ServiceNow is making the world of work, work better for people. Our cloud-based platform and solutions deliver digital workflows that create great experiences and unlock productivity for employees and the enterprise. We're growing fast, innovating faster, and making an impact on our customers' and employees' lives in significant and important ways. With over 6,900 customers, we serve approximately 80% of the Fortune 500, and we're on the 2020 list of FORTUNE World's Most Admired Companies.®
We're looking for people who are ready to jump right in and help us build on our incredible momentum, our diverse, engaged workforce, and our purpose to make the world of work, work better.
Learn more on Life at Now blog and hear from our employees about their experiences working at ServiceNow.
This position reports to: Director, Data Engineering and Data Science
ServiceNow is changing the way people work. With a service-orientation toward the activities, tasks and processes that make up day-to-day work life, we help the modern enterprise operate faster and be more scalable than ever before.
As a member of the Product Operations Analytics team, you'll focus on driving operational awareness to our Executive Team while partnering with leaders throughout ServiceNow to fundamentally improve how we run our business. With a combination of exceptional analytical skills, an insatiable curiosity, and an entrepreneurial "get stuff done" mindset, you'll help us better understand our customers, partners, and products, and drive important changes that will shape the future of ServiceNow.
What you get to do in this role:
We are looking for a Rock Star with a winning track record in Big Data, Data Warehousing, Visualization and Data Web Services. The Staff Data Engineer will be a core technical contributor to the team with deep expertise in manipulating and structuring large, complex datasets that feed central data warehouses. S/he will be responsible for helping stand up and maintaining daily data transfer jobs, database structures, identifying data integrity issues, and developing documentation on data assets. The Staff Data Engineer will also work closely with ServiceNow data analysts and data scientists to help prep data for models and dashboards.
The ideal candidate should have a background in Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, equivalent quantitative field or related practical experience with an obsession on data quality. S/he should have an outstanding ability to foster relationships with staff across departments and be motivated to continuously achieve positive results. Extensive understanding to the needs of data visualization is a must for this role. S/he should also be able to effectively handle ad hoc requests and multitask with ease and little guidance.
Examples Of Day-to-Day Responsibilities
- Enforcing company data policies and procedures to ensure data quality and reduce discrepancies
- Securing approvals for data access based on business needs
- Developing scalable automated ETL jobs and maintain them
- Identify any data integrity issues and deep dive to find root cause
- Develop and manage Python and API calls to stand up master data sets and merge datasets across disparate systems
- Training analysts and data scientists alike on available data sources
- Ensuring very large databases and compute clusters operate optimally
- Implementing and maintaining database structures and governance
- Developing / maintaining documentation on databases and production tables
- Collaborating across the company's multiple data teams to meet analytics deliverables
In order to be successful in this role, we need someone who has:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, a related quantitative field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Effective problem solving and analytical skills. Ability to manage multiple projects and report simultaneously across different stakeholders
- Proven track record for developing/maintaining performance optimized data models for production analytics
- Structured thinking with ability to easily break down ambiguous problems and propose impactful data modeling designs
- Passion for analyzing large and complex data sets and converting them into the information which drive business decisions
- Attention to detail, organization and effective verbal/written communication skills
- Experience in big data instances: Cloudera, Azure, Snowflake, and the like.
- Proven track record in rolling out self-service analytics solutions (e.g. Tableau Server Ask Data, etc)
- Solid decision making, negotiation, and persuasion skills, often in ambiguous situations
- Must be able to work in fast paced environment and be able to adapt to changing requirements.
- Understanding of technology development projects and the full technology development lifecycle
ServiceNow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin or nationality, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status or any other category protected by law.
All new employees hired in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to such exceptions as required by law. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of full vaccination or have an approved accommodation, by your start date. Visit our Candidate FAQ page to learn more.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at [email protected] for assistance.
For positions requiring access to technical data subject to export control regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR), ServiceNow may have to obtain export licensing approval from the U.S. Government for certain individuals. All employment is contingent upon ServiceNow obtaining any export license or other approval that may be required by the U.S. Government.
Please Note: Fraudulent job postings/job scams are increasingly common. Click here to learn what to watch out for and how to protect yourself. All genuine ServiceNow job postings can be found through the ServiceNow Careers site .
Work personas are categories that are assigned to employees depending on the nature of their work. Employees will fall into one of three categories: Remote, Flexible or Required in Office.
Required in Office
A required in office work persona is defined as an employee who is contracted to work from or aligned to a ServiceNow-affiliated office. This persona is required to work from their assigned workplace location 100% of the work week based on the business needs of their role.
A flexible work persona is defined as an employee who is contracted to work from or aligned to a ServiceNow-affiliated office and will work from their assigned workplace location roughly 3 days/week or less (generally around 40-60% of the work week). Flexible employees may choose to work the remaining working time from their workplace location or home. Flexible employees are required to work within their state, province, region, or country of employment.
A remote work persona is defined as an employee who performs their responsibilities exclusively outside of a ServiceNow workplace and is not contracted or aligned to a ServiceNow-affiliated office, including those whose place of work (pursuant to their terms and conditions of employment) is their home. Remote employees are required to work within their state, province, region, or country of employment.