User Researcher III - Quantitative at Expedia Group
Do you believe that the best products are built by teams who focus on understanding user behavior? Do you dream of working in a dynamic, iterative environment where research insights can have an immediate impact on a product’s user experience? If so, then Expedia, the world’s largest travel company, wants to talk to you.We are a diverse and inclusive organization. As a team, we focus on a drive for results. We are looking for experienced UX Researchers with a breadth of methodological skills and ability to use research to impact decisions in an agile environment.You are great for this job if:
- You have excellent research skills with a record of delivering insights that result in business impact
- You are motivated by a sense of accomplishment and passion for the work
- You are known for clear written and spoken communication skills
- You have proven project management skills and are able to strike the balance between being agile and applying rigor
- You practice self-awareness and strive to be your best self while finding common ground and building rapport with your peers.
- We believe that observations are key, that understanding the “why” is critical.
- We're looking for researchers who can embrace our research philosophy and excel at delivering research insights.
As a User Researcher III focusing on quantitative research, you will:
- Conduct surveys and utilize intercept survey software to support the research needs of the entire UX Research team as well as other teams throughout Expedia Group.
- Work closely with researchers and other partners across multiple product teams to assess their survey needs; then work with them to outline, prioritize, and implement the survey research plan, analyze results, and identify key insights.
- Conduct surveys including broad user metrics, as well as supporting the qualitative researchers in survey needs for their specific focus areas.
- Define and consolidate quantitative research to provide insights that influence product and UX decisions and occasionally business decisions.
- Identify and recommend the best survey methods to answer research questions and prioritize them according to schedule and opportunity constraints
- Actively find opportunities to improve the survey process and apply new survey methods
- Be accountable for all aspects of planning, programming, testing, conducting, and analyzing the surveys you work on; this will primarily involve site intercept surveys, but also includes a variety of in-page and email feedback surveys, recruiting surveys, and vendor-run surveys.
- Consolidate survey findings, often from multiple sources, into a concise, story for partners.
- Be able to explain your methods and the rationale behind them to peers, team partners, product partners and UX leadership.
- Estimate work effort and define needed deliverables.
- It's given that you are a detailed thinker with a strong sense of curiosity that is grounded in cognitive science.
- We also look for individuals with a creative streak, a love for experimentation and the desire/skills to deliver quickly.
- Very detailed and able to accurately track all the details of multiple survey projects at once
- Able to articulate and visualize quantitative data
- Used to working firsthand with partners, such as design, product, marketing, analytics, and engineering.
- Able to develop creative, flexible and rapid survey approaches to user experience problems.
- Very organized, able to act independently and switch quickly between different projects, even within a day.
- Able to coordinate survey translation with internal and external translation teams.
- A good survey proofreader and tester, with a keen eye for accuracy and an excellent grasp of English language and grammar.
- A number of qualitative and quantitative user research methods; able to identify which methods are the best suited for answering specific research questions.
- Standard survey methodologies and techniques, from writing survey questions to conducting surveys, analyzing and presenting results.
- Best-practices for wording of survey questions. Familiarity with standard usability questionnaires such as SUS and SUPR-Q is a plus.
- Standard statistical analysis techniques, particularly when applied to qualitative data and/or small sample sizes.
- One or more standard survey software and intercept survey tools (preferably Qualtrics).
- Preparing contact mailing lists and handling participant panels.
While we recognize that there is not one path to becoming an outstanding User Experience Researcher III, we look for:
- More than 5 years professional experience, with a least 3 years experience running survey projects from beginning to end.
- BS degree in Social Sciences, HCI, Cognitive Psychology, Market research, or similar areas (Masters degree a plus).
- Although not required, it is an advantage if you can demonstrate:
- Experience working within agile design and development teams
- Personal familiarity with Qualtrics software, Adobe Analytics, Tealium, JS, CSS, SQL, and advanced Excel data manipulation are all a plus.
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.