API & SDK Technical Lead
Hiya is revolutionizing the way people make and receive phone calls. We are one of the fastest growing mobile startups in the world. The phone dialer app has remained unchanged since smartphones launched over a decade ago. Hiya is changing this by working with mobile phone makers (like Samsung) and mobile carriers (like AT&T) to bring this innovation to more than 45 million monthly users in 196 countries. With offices in Seattle, London, and Budapest we have the backing from top investors in the US and Europe, and an exceptional diverse and skilled team.
We are looking for an experienced hands-on Engineering Technical Lead based in Seattle to help us, architect, implement, grow the team, and maintain our APIs and SDK. This is a brand new team we are launching in order for us to provide robust and scalable core solutions for the rest of the company and external partners! Oh yes! This is a VERY important position!
You'll be leading a team of four to six engineers in Seattle, quite a few of those you'll help us hire. You'll also help us (re-)architect this product to better serve the users who will be sending us hundreds of millions of requests per month. In addition, you'll work with other engineering teams at Hiya, some in Seattle and some in Budapest, to define and deliver shared components and services.
Initially, you'll spend sixty percent of your time architecting and implementing features with other engineers, and as the team and your management responsibilities grow, there will be less hands-on coding.
What we expect from you:
- Experience in building APIs to be consumed by external partners & developers
- Enjoys a startup environment of getting things done and pursue higher velocity over perfection
- Collaborative team player with great communication skills.
- Experience hiring exceptional talent in Seattle.
- Providing mentorship, coaching, career development, and support to a diverse team of engineers.
- Hands-on coder leading a team by example.
- Experience in building scalable and distributed web services.
- Experience in supporting the developer community and external partners.
- Experience with networking, APIs, queues, stream processing, caching, etc.
- A degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
Awesome if you have:
- Experience in the mobile development (iOS and Android)
- Experience coding in a functional language (Extra points for Scala!)
- Extra points for experience with Redis, DynamoDB, Data analysis, Kubernetes/Docker.
What you should expect from us:
- Work at a supportive and fast-growing startup with a fantastic team.
- Make an impact in the lives of tens of millions of consumers.
- Many office perks and great company benefits.
- Collaborate and learn from other great team members.
- Support in developing your skills and accelerating your career
Hiya is an equal opportunity employer. We value and embrace diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age or disability status