What is the first thing you do while planning your travel? Do you want to work on a team that helps travelers like you go places and makes our world more connected? Expedia Flights team is the traffic powerhouse for the Expedia group and our Flights Shopping Platform is one of the largest in the world serving over 150 million queries a day and powering some of the strongest brands in the industry like Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Wotif, Hotwire and ebookers. Our technology operations are global, with representation in US, Mexico, Australia and India.
What makes Flights technology unique?
- We are one of the few companies in the world that own a proprietary flight search engine (called Best Fare Search) which is used by millions of users every day.
- We are moving one of the world’s biggest flights platform to AWS.
- We handle several 100 thousand booking transactions every day and connect with all major GDS partners you can think of.
- We collect TeraBytes of Flights Data and are actively looking to use ML to show the right content to our customers.
As a Director of Technology on Air Technology team, you will work closely with Product, Strategy, UX teams andleverage both your creativity and technical skills to design features which shape the future of flight shopping user experience. You will work closely with the Air leadership team to set direction for our next generation UI. You'll also continue our efforts to deliver our best flights content to our customers instantly.
Our teams have flexibility to make the technology choices that provide the best value to our beloved travelers and partners. As a member of the team, you’ll be involved in these choices. We are in the middle of evolving our platform and are actively decomposing our services into micro-systems to make things easier to maintain and continually deploy. As part of this evolution, you and your team will be cloud-native or moving enthusiastically to AWS. We organize for feature velocity, so wherever appropriate, your teams will leverage AWS services like Lambda, Kinesis, ElastiCache, Aurora, DynamoDB and of course EC2, ECS and S3. To further help speed things up, you’ll look to build on top of open source systems and libraries like Redis, GRPC, Akka, Cassandra, and MongoDB.
In this role, you will be leading a diverse group of technology functions through multiple subordinate managers in support of a brand or function.General Responsibilities:
- You'll manage a mid-sized team through subordinate managers and direct reports who support technology needs for Air team.
- Lead multiple concurrent, complex, and/or unique projects and initiatives.
- Interact with direct reports, peers in management, and customers to share information, provide input on strategic and operational initiatives, and improve cross-departmental processes.
- You'll make recommendations to functional leadership on operational policies, processes and allocation of resources to meet the work needs over the next 12 months.
- You're forward thinking and provide planning support for a 1 - 2 year view on technology and/or operational strategies for business unit(s) supported.
- You'll be a mentor and coach to your team. Ensuring the ongoing training and development for your team members.
- BS in Computer Science or a related engineering field, MS preferred.
- Progressively responsible technology management experience in an ecommerce organization, including management of high-performing teams.
- Track record of delivering and operating large-sized internet-scale software systems.
- Ability to balance priorities from customers, suppliers and business owners in the overall Expedia travel space.
- Demonstrated success leading remote project teams
#LI-AMCExpedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.