QA Engineer III at Discovery Direct-to-Consumer
Bellevue, WA, US, 98004
Date: Apr 23, 2021
Req ID: 2852
Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based microservices operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring a senior quality assurance engineer to join our team. The ideal candidate will have a passion for test automation (QA-as-a-Service), strike a balance between test coverage and test quality, architect and code automated tests across multiple delivery pipelines, and establish best practices & processes which improve developer efficiencies and product quality.
The ideal candidate will also have a track record of having worked with multiple cross-functional teams and test activities as part of the overall product release pipeline. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You are a key influencer in your team’s strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative partner that makes other team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to others.
- Manage QA scrum team activities including daily standups and retrospectives. Ensure sprint board hygiene in terms of jira status and metadata.
- Provide accurate reporting of sprint progress including both roll up status for automation features and sprint velocity and burn down progress.
- Interface with player scrum team and ensure test plans and automation tasks are created for new work items.
- Audit QA and associated processes (e.g. defect management) and identify and resolve gaps.
- Drive architecture and technology choices for building new and enhancing existing test infrastructure - both test execution and device farm. Build POCs and identify 3P vendors where applicable to realize the long term vision for player testing.
- Manage 3P relationships including device farm and automation framework vendors.
- Act as a Point of contact for requests from dependent teams and ensure intake requests (jira issues) are filed
- Unblock scrum team by managing device requests, dependency tracking, and other related tasks
- Attend status meetings and share clear, concise, and accurate status reports
- Ensure developers and testers are aware of milestones and track sprint deliveries against pre-defined milestones (code complete, feature complete, integration complete, launch ready)
- Manage launch readiness and operational excellence
- Manage scrum team QA process and ensure tests are scheduled and executed at a regular cadence and failures are properly tracked via jira bugs
1. Knowledge of various test activities across release pipelines to promote artifacts from dev to prod, including unit testing, regression testing, cert testing, client testing, etc.
2. Experience driving test design and implementation
3. Understanding of test cases, test data, test runs, and test results management that provides feedback and visibility to qualify & quantify test coverage.
4. Ability to scout emerging industry trends such as AI testing and other best in class processes.
5. Able to drive and steer discussions and meetings to achieve desired goals.
6. Understanding of multiple test types including unit, functional, integration, end to end, security, performance, load, and ui tests.
7. Experience testing across different device types and operating systems such as Window, OSX, iOS, Android, Roku, FireTV, Xbox, Playstation, and WebOS.
8. Able to collaborate and work with development teams across multiple time zones and locations
9. Ability to collaborate with technology resources on projects given solid understanding of current technologies and trends.
10. Knowledge of industry best practices for technical documentation.
11. Ability to focus both strategically and tactically to achieve business goals, including the use of data to drive improvements.
12. AWS, Selenium, Watir, JIRA, Testrail, Apache test tools, cucumber, Docker, Grafana, Jenkins, Jenkins Pipelines, CircleCi, Appium, Confluence and JIRA admin tool experience
13. Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
EEO is the Law
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application process, please send an email request to [email protected]