Senior Software Engineer, Backend (Core Messaging) at Zipwhip
We are one of the main reasons it is possible to text with a business today. Zipwhip was the first company to enable texting on existing business phone numbers and we’re the leading business-texting software and API provider. More than 35,000 companies trust us to increase customer engagement and drive growth through texting on their existing landline, VoIP, and toll-free phone numbers. We offer an intuitive cloud-based software, an enterprise-grade API, and direct network connectivity. Businesses can use any computer or mobile device to reach their customers securely and reliably, every time. Zipwhip is the only business-texting provider with direct connections to all Tier 1 and 2 wireless operators in the U.S. and Canada, and we deliver billions of texts to consumers nationwide.
Our strong venture backing allows us to intently invest in our product, technology, and team; we’ve received nearly $100 million in funding from strong investors- Goldman Sachs, M12 (Microsoft Ventures) and OpenView. We are consistently ranked one of Washington’s fastest-growing workplaces. And now we’re expanding internationally- building teams and growing our presence in Calgary.
We are looking for an experienced senior software developer for our developer platform. You’ll be responsible for creating products that attract new customers to our platform through features and accessibility.
How this role makes an impact:
- Will bring your unique set of diverse experiences and background to our team in an open and collaborative manner so that we can all expand and grow better and faster.
- Have a desire to leverage your expertise but also dive into lesser known areas of technology, architecture, or whatever is needed to solve engineering day-to-day challenges.
- Have an open and honest communication style that always puts the customer first “Will the customer be delighted with this?”
- Are comfortable dealing with ambiguity and a shifting landscape.
- Are curious, willing to learn, share and improve.
- Have a strong sense of ownership and accountability for the product you are delivering.
What the job really is?
- Responsible for designing, developing, testing, maintaining and shipping high quality features and services that connect businesses to millions of customers.
- Responsible for building large scale, high volume, highly available and reliable messaging platform that powers our SaaS platform, Wholesale API and commercial messaging API.
- Owning your code end-to-end from development to deployment and providing operational support through on-call rotations.
- Working collaboratively with product managers and stakeholders to own & manage a rapidly evolving product roadmap that delivers on company goals.
What to bring:
- Bachelor’s Degree in CS or related field or equivalent working experience.
- 7+ years of related software development experience shipping multiple products / services.
- Proficiency in one or more programing languages including Java, Scala, C, C++.
- Curiosity and interest in learning new programing languages and frameworks.
- Experience designing and implementing large scale solutions.
- Experience with message queuing technologies like Kafka , JMS, SQS.
- Experience working in distributed and concurrent systems.
- Experience working with Enterprise Integration Patterns.
- Mentoring and coaching through design and code reviews.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Working in agile teams or startup environment with strong customer focus.
- Demonstrated organizational agility, cross-team collaboration, commitment for results, and excellent written and verbal communications.
- Commitment for engineering practices that ensure safe and fast paced releases of services.
- Ranked the #6 best workplace in Washington in 2019 from Seattle Business magazine and The Puget Sound Business Journal
- We value diversity and strive to create an environment where everyone can feel safe, valued, empowered, and connected.
- A fun, lively startup culture and a brand new Headquartered office in Seattle (we can’t wait to get back there post COVID) We don’t just talk the talk. Our award-winning culture stems from having a core set of values that are lived daily and are at the forefront of all we do.
- Ample opportunities for professional growth, internal advancement and movement, and company-supported learning.
- Competitive compensation and stock options.
- Full benefits package including parental leave, retirement plan options, PTO, and medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance.
- Virtual wellness offerings (yoga, meditation) and other wellness offerings.
- Stipend for transportation and cell phone usage.
- A culture of transparency and open communication, including a weekly Company update meeting (catered weekly lunch when on-site working) hosted by our CEO
Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the job.
Zipwhip strives for an equitable, inclusive, and welcoming culture that values and honors diverse experiences and perspectives. We focus on fostering a culture of constructive expression of ideas and promotes intellectual curiosity, creativity, and respect. Equity and inclusivity can only flourish and reach full potential with continued effort and accountability, nourished by a collective sense of responsibility and mission on the part of the entire company. We are committed to the continued development of our diversity of people, ideas, and approaches, which will strengthen our mission to make texting with businesses as natural as it is with family and friends.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally recognized basis; this includes, but not limited to, race, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, creed, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, disability, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.We are an E-verify participating employer.