Senior Software Engineer at Expedia Group
Would you like to build one of the most critical systems that power all our brand experiences? Are you an engineer looking to showcase your ability to build highly scalable systems with the latest technologies? If so, the Search team might be the right team for you. We are building our next generation search platform with industry-leading capabilities that power our brands.
This platform is central to how the travel market operates, and this team is responsible for its development and upkeep. As a team member, you will be looking at the big picture and taking end-to-end ownership to ensure that we are providing the best solutions and outcomes for our customers.
As a Senior Engineer, you will be in a leadership role building sort and ranking capabilities in our new Search platform, mentoring others, working directly with partners, and ensuring that we are continually improving. This team works in an agile environment focused on outcomes and delivering value as we offer new capabilities and quickly integrate them into our production systems.
What You'll Do:
- Develop scalable, highly available, and reliable micro-services with high throughput in the tens of thousands of requests per second with low latency. Many of these systems are machine-learning-driven.
- Developing solutions with real-time data, cached data, and data at rest will allow us to meet the demanding SLAs and work closely with data scientists to optimize our solutions. All of these solutions will be designed for and built in the cloud.
- Develop core capabilities that enable features and APIs that will drive our business through real-time feedback loops.
- You will own the continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD) while utilizing Agile methodologies.
- Develop new capabilities to our learning systems that will enable new features and improve experiences
- Develop a smart service layer that will allow for in-session personalization based on user behavior and data
- Work with brand partners on a scalable integration patterns to access our core systems
- You will have the opportunity to participate in exciting global company hackathons and various career building courses with co-workers of all levels of expertise.
Who you are:
- 5+ years previous experience building highly available and scalable systems.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Strong experience in Java and/or Kotlin programming languages
- Able to break down complex problems and drive towards solutions, demonstrating your team along the way.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS), Spring Boot, and Kubernetes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to work well with in and across the teams
- You enjoy guiding and learning from your co-workers
- Experience operationalizing machine learning models in with high throughput and low latency.
Technologies We Use
Kotlin, Java, Sprint-Boot, gRPC, AWS, Kubernetes.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground, so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a desire to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, VRBO®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.