Software Dev Engineer II
The Expedia Lodging Platform team is the business powerhouse for the Expedia group and contributes the largest share of our company’s revenue. The Lodging Platform teams power two main lines of business, Lodging Shopping and Lodging Supply, and covers ten+ major Product areas. Our Lodging Platform operations are global, with representation in 8 countries and 17 offices. Our platforms are unique, supporting multiple Expedia brands - Brand Expedia Group; including Brand Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Wotif and ebookers; and our sister brands Hotels.com, Expedia Affiliate Network, trivago and most recently HomeAway.
What makes Lodging special?
- ML platform and self-service model deployment took for data scientists delivering over 5000 TPS under 10ms; enabling our teams to provide the best rates
- Driving pricing computations supporting approximately 60 thousand requests per second; arguably one of the top 10 search systems in the world
- Building a best in class geography system returning 7.5 thousand requests per second; enabling travelers to find the best locations to stay
- Continuously growing a vast inventory system supporting 50 million updates/day; with rooms, rates, dates and types
- Service over half a million hotels across 240 countries in 26 languages; Real time news feed, photo upload, reviews
- Deep and broad content system enabling 10 million updates/day; which includes 38TB of images, alone
What about Lodging Technology?
Our teams have flexibility to make the technology choices that best provide customer value to partners. As a member of the team, you’ll be involved in these choices. As an example, most teams build RESTful services, typically with simple APIs using JSON. These are usually built on the JVM with Java but some pick Scala, Clojure and Kotlin. Some teams use Node.js. Many teams are decomposing their services into micro-systems to make things easier to maintain and continually deploy. When appropriate, teams build event-driven, streaming architectures and we also have teams working on front-end solutions, generally using React.js. Your team will be cloud-native or moving enthusiastically to AWS. We organize for feature velocity, so wherever appropriate, your teams will leverage AWS services like Lambda, Kinesis, ElastiCache, Aurora, DynamoDB and of course EC2, ECS and S3. To further help speed things up, you’ll look to build on top of open source systems and libraries like Redis, GRPC, Akka, Cassandra, and MongoDB.
- You will write awesome software - scalable, performance, maintainable, resilient...stuff you'd be proud to put your name on!
- You get to how ownership - find and fill gaps, and do what it takes to get the job done
- You will make the team better by being part of it - work collaboratively with counterparts in product management, program management, and engineering and build a culture where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts
- You will raise quality via good coding/testing practices and a committed desire for improvement
- You will contribute to the design process for various features
- You will support what you build using a DevOps mentality
- You will communicate and work effectively with geographically distributed across teams
- You will look for continuous improvement in software and development process within an agile development team
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- Skills in most areas of the professional function, and in-depth specialization in some
- Effective verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information clearly and concisely
- Experience in Agile/Scrum software development practices
- 3-7 + years of experience in the field of Software Engineering
- Expertise in Java (or C# / Object Oriented), XML, JUnit
- Apache Tomcat, Spring MVC, Spring Boot, Docker, Gradle, Grunt
- Experience in AWS: EC2, S3, Lambda, DynamoDB
- Experience building web services with these platforms desired.
- Experience with SQL databases and NoSQL solutions
- Experience implementing accessibility best practices
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.