Software Development Engineer I at Discovery Digital Media
Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring software development engineers to join our team! The ideal candidate has a track record of having built high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are collaborative and make other engineers and team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions.
1. Scope & Complexity: You are able to take documented designs prepared by more experienced engineers and contribute code to implement the design working solo or with other engineers together.
2. Decision Making: You are responsible for your team’s software making decisions about how to implement to best achieve the desired outcome. The decisions you make prove that you are can right stable, product quality code and follow your team’s best practices for dev-ops tasks.
3. Execution: You have demonstrated the ability to use common industry tools for software development including but not limited to IDEs, build and continuous integration, source control management, code review tools, data storage services, and cloud infrastructure, and you are able to build software in a professional team environment delivered to production using these tools.
4. Operations: You are able to provide technical documentation describing your contributions and contribute enhancements to your team’s best practices.
5. Influence: You influence the technical vision for your department through discussions with peers and your management. You are persuasive in influencing your peers through code reviews or design reviews.
6. Communication: You are an effective communicator as exemplified by your technical documentation, and your interactions with stakeholders and adjacent teams.
*Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
EEO is the Law
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application process, please send an email request to [email protected]
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue