Software Development Engineer II - Fullstack
Launched in 2000, Hotwire is one of the earliest innovators in the online travel arena and part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
Our roots are in California, and we also have offices in Seattle along with an important and fast-growing product & technology presence in Gurgaon, India. Hotwire has the energy and pace of a startup, plus the stability and backing of the incredible Expedia family of companies. Hotwire’s culture centers around delivering value to customers and supply partners by being passionate about building great products with the newest technologies available. We pride ourselves on our organizational transparency, a bias for action and a customer-centric approach to everything we do.
Hotwire differentiates itself as a brand within the travel marketplace by offering a unique core value proposition for customers and suppliers with our opaque pricing model. This concept revolves around offering great bargains on hotel room nights without sharing the specific name or location of the hotel until the booking is complete. By giving this flexibility to our suppliers, we can offer great value to our customers. Hotwire also offers a full retail suite of other travel products that can fulfill virtually any customer travel need.
Join us and you’ll be helping build a market leading customer facing web application, solving hard problems at scale and contributing to mission-critical software with a direct impact on the bottom line. All of this and you'll get to experience the dynamic and diverse agile working environment we are so proud to provide.
Key technologies we use:
What you’ll do:
- Deliver high quality software using agile principles and methodologies.
- Lead design activities and help set the technical direction of our product.
- Provide technical leadership, coaching and mentoring to more junior team members.
- Advance our team’s design, development, test and release processes through your use and advocacy of engineering best practices.
- Cultivate a strong focus on performance, scalability, maintainability and operational excellence.
- Drive improvements to our deployment, automation, performance and platform monitoring capabilities.
- Identify and articulate technical and operational requirements for new feature developments and platform investments.
- Collaborate in multi-functional discussions to plan projects and define platform and product goals.
- Participate in the resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions.
What you should bring:
- You have extensive Java software development experience
- You have a deep understanding of modern web architectures, agile software development practices and first-class engineering skills
- You know what it takes to deliver products in a CI/CD environment
- You have some exposure to automation frameworks like Cucumber/Scala/selenium experience a plus
- You write clean, coherent, well-documented code that sets a standard for others
- You communicate complex ideas and information with ease
- Strong computer science fundamentals and ideally a BS/MS degree or higher
- You have some exposure working up and down the web stack from building UI to optimizing the backend and developing API’s
How you can really tick our boxes:
- You are already an experienced Engineer who sets standards, drives designs and coaches others
- You have developed products using Java (Kotlin/GraphQL a plus)
- You have developed Java based microservices and deployed them to AWS
- You have delivered large scale platform refactors in an Iterative manner
- You have notable DevOps experience
- You have E-commerce or technical Travel Industry experience
Why Join Us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.