Software Development Engineer II (Java backend) at Expedia Group
Expedia, the world leader in online travel, is looking for a Software Development Engineer to join The Lodging Services (TLS) organization. Online Travel is moving into a new phase with lots of exciting opportunities for Expedia, and the TLS team is chartered to build a distributed, scalable, and high performing compute and data platform using micro services. These services will run code related to business logic, read/write cached data into distributed caches, and potentially provide multi-level distributed caching of fully baked or partially baked data. Another group of services will expose the computed results to our clients via APIs.
In this position you will utilize your problem solving and critical thinking skills. You will collaborate with senior engineers, program managers, and test engineers to deliver critical business applications and build products to improve our existing infrastructure. Most of our software is JVM based (Scala, Java, even some spikes in Kotlin!) and is released on Linux.Responsibilities:
- You will develop, design, debug, and modify components of software applications and tools
- You will write automated unit, integration and acceptance tests as appropriate to support our continuous integration pipelines.
- You will support and troubleshoot data and/or system issues as needed
- You will prototype creative solutions quickly by developing minimum viable products and work with seniors and peers in crafting and implementing the technical vision
- You will communicate and work effectively with geographically distributed cross-functional teams
- You will participate in code reviews to assess overall code quality and flexibility
- You will resolve problems and roadblocks as they occur with peers and help unblock junior members of the team. Follow through on details and drive issues to closure
- You will define, develop and maintain artifacts like technical design or partner documentation
- You will commit to continuous improvement in software and development process within an agile development team
- Participate in user story creation in collaboration with the team
- Bachelors or Masters degree in computer science or a related major and/or equivalent work experience
- Experience using code versioning tools for e.g Git or others
- Experience in Agile/Scrum software development practices
- Effective verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information clearly and concisely
- 3-7+ years of experience in Software Engineering
- Strong experience in writing transactional web services using REST or distributed RPC technologies.
- Experience in JVM technologies, Scala or functional programming in an equivalent language a strong plus.
- Apache Tomcat, Spring MVC, Spring Boot, Docker, Maven
- AWS: EC2, S3, Lambda, DynamoDB, Kinesis
- Redis, Chef
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Expedia provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Expedia aligns with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.