Software Development Engineer II at Discovery Direct-to-Consumer
Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
Who We Are
The Direct to Consumer Group (DTC) is a technology company within Discovery that is responsible for building a global streaming video platform to support a broad collection of Discovery’s diverse brands including Discovery, Discovery+, TLC, Food Network, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Science Channel, HGTV, Eurosport, MotorTrend, and many more. DTC’s software engineering teams build applications for the web, mobile, tablets, connected TVs, consoles, and other streaming devices. Those applications are backed by a fleet of modern, cloud-native
microservices deployed to Kubernetes within AWS. It is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
What you’ll Do
As an engineer in the Global Release Tooling (GRT) team within DTC, you’ll be joining a team that is responsible for building a truly global, self-service platform to enable DTC’s growing number of engineering teams to build, test, deploy, and manage the complete operational life cycle of their services in a fully autonomous fashion.
Your role will focus on the following:
1. Lead design automation patterns to build, test, and deliver mobile and over-the-top applications for software engineering teams. These patterns and processes will be consumed by DTC’s global development team.
2. Take designs and break the them down into executable pieces of work
3. Write metrics collection services to help teams understand and measure their software delivery performance.
4. Pursue operational excellence for the software you and your team create (constructive code reviews, comments, unit tests, monitoring).
5. Collaborate with application teams to elevate their expertise in shipping software to customers.
6. Participate in an on-call schedule.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience automating the build, test, release process across several production systems and apps with deep experience in:
1. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to diagram processes and connected systems and present ideas to the team.
2. You have subject-matter expertise related to one or more production software systems and demonstrated a pattern of shipping high quality feature changes in those, or similar, systems.
3. You require little oversight to work within the teams software development lifecycle practices
4. You think about the long-term health of your code, your monitoring, your alerting, and your documentation. You nurture all of these in parallel to your software development responsibilities.
5. You are able to lead the design and development of more complex feature enhancements involving yourself and one or more additional engineers. You solve business problems with simple
and straightforward solutions, applying appropriate technologies and software engineering best practices.
6. Must have the legal right to work in the United States
7. Technical Skills
a. Expert in developing and operating backend API’s in production.
b. Expert in event-driven systems, data pipelines & Asynchronous code.
c. Expert in Docker and containers including familiarity with infrastructure to orchestrate and run them, like ECS or Kubernetes
d. Strong proficiency in coding with experience with at least two of the following: Groovy, NodeJS, Bash, Python, Java, Go, Ruby.
e. Familiarity with AWS services including, EKS, ECS, Lambda, API Gateway, RDS, CloudWatch, Xray, S3, Kinesis, DynamoDB, EC2
f. Knowledge of Kafka or other streaming architectures and where they can be used and what problems they solve.
e. GitHub Actions
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.