As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring senior software development engineers to join our global video delivery platform team – a foundational pillar of the direct to consumer group. Video is core to Discovery’s business and this team strives to provide the best possible video stream to every customer on every device and network. The team provides mission-critical functionality to all Discovery applications that includes content search and metadata services, video transcoding and DRM services and video playback services among others.
The ideal candidate has a track record of having built multiple high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You are a key influencer in your team’s strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative leader that makes other engineers and team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to other engineers.
1. You are experienced and capable of playing a leading role to design and develop major functional changes to existing software systems, or new ones, involving yourself and other engineers. You make good decisions when to build new and when to extend existing.
2. You provide guidance on design, coding, and operational best practices, and have a track-record of applying these best practices to software that you have worked on. You can propose and create best practices proactively where none exist.
3. You make high impact decisions driving how and what software gets built. Your decisions are often right, and you are persuasive in delivering your suggestions and ideas to your team.
4. You mentor junior engineers, overseeing their designs, code quality and code reviews, and integration into a team. Your success is judged as much on your own productivity as on the positive impact you have on engineers around you.
* Experience developing high-throughput backend services scaling to hundreds of millions of users in real-time and on-demand transactions in server-server and client-server applications.
* Experience with online video applications and services in any of the following areas is a big plus: metadata services, video ingestion, transcoding and DRM or playback services.
* Hands-on experience designing and developing distributed, asynchronous services involving many components and using popular tech stacks and design patterns.
* Experience with most AWS services, and deep knowledge of EC2, S3, Kinesis, CloudFront and CloudWatch and other content delivery networks.
* Experience with container technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes, and expert-level coding experience in Java or C#, TypeScript or Go.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
bellevue, washington, wa, blv